Helping picking out an air rifle to deal with varmints in my yard

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by De4dC3ll, Feb 22, 2020.

1. De4dC3ll

De4dC3ll

Been considering a air rifle for a while to help deal with some squirrels/rabbits that get about in my yard. So ive been looking around online but spend too much time reading the reviews posted and eventually end up getting deterred from picking one out. Ive considered just popping some of these guys with the 22 but last thing I need is to give my neighbors something to get riled up about. So looking for effective, durable and quiet enough that i can deal with these critters from my kitchen window without having swat kick down the front door.

2. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

I live in the city and use a Gamo Hunter. They make some that are quieter but I've not had any problems. In my opinion, the lead pellets kill better. They are not as accurate at least in my rifle.

Good luck whatever you decide.

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

sureshot006 likes this.
  4. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

Nostromo likes this.
  5. bobberbill

bobberbill

Small game hunting season is closing soon. Any good quality air gun is effective on bunnies and squirrels at close range. A .22 rifle with subsonic rounds don't make much more noise that a pellet gun. Shooting with neighbors nearby within the 450' zone could present a problem, too.

6. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

Any air gun larger than .177 cal is considered a firearm I believe, unless they changed the law. I whack Red Squirrels with regularity ( as long as they hold still for 10 seconds which isn't often) with a 1000 FPS Ruger .177 cal Spring-Air pellet gun I bought at Walmart for $90.00. Rabbits are much easier to kill. I use the pointed lead hunting pellets. They'll go through a Red's head at 50 yds.

7. tincanary

tincanary

Benjamin Discovery in .22 with a TKO muzzle brake gets my vote. More powerful and more accurate than a spring gun. Best of all, it's mouse fart quiet. Nobody will hear anything.

MichiFishy and Petronius like this.
  8. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

There were some firearm law changes a few years ago. Airguns are not firearms in Michigan, but are treated as firearms for transportation, concealed carry, and hunting purposes.

sureshot006, MichiFishy and tincanary like this.
  9. slowpoke

slowpoke

I'm about to upgrade to a FX PCP. I have a RWS 54 springier + a 22 Gauntlet PCP. I use to hunt squirrels with my RWS 54 and killed 5 with 5 shots. If you live near Davison Mi. and want to shoot/try out my airguns PM me.

RMH likes this.
  10. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Add a vote for the Benjamin. I like regular lead target pellets for "house hunting" as they typically wont pass through, safer for suburbia. Thing shoots great after the break in period.

tincanary likes this.
  11. tincanary

tincanary

Oh yeah, this reminds me. There's a place in Dryden called Precision Airguns that sells all the good stuff. They will let you shoot before you buy so it would be a great place to find something you may like. My advice, stay away from any of the Chinese spring guns (Crosman, Ruger, Gamo, etc) as they tend to have really crappy triggers. However, there are nice after market triggers available for ~$30. If you move up to something German (Beeman, Weihrauch, RWS), the triggers are magnitudes better. I really love the Rekord trigger on the Beeman and Weihrauch guns, one of the best around period. All that said, a PCP rifle will generally be the easiest to shoot and therefore more accurate. If you can master the artillery hold you can be very accurate with a spring gun but it takes a little getting used to. I can hit peanuts on the stump on my yard from 30yd off-hand using the artillery hold. A PCP gun has no such learning curve, pretty much point and shoot.

MichiFishy likes this.
  12. tincanary

tincanary

I like to use Daisy wadcutters on feathered critters and JSB Predators on the 4 legged vermin. Those Daisy wadcutters are dirt cheap and plenty accurate out to 20yd or so. They come dirty so you need to wash them before use.

MichiFishy likes this.
  13. tincanary

tincanary

This is my main gun, Benjamin Marauder pistol with a shoulder stock. It's not super quiet, but not really loud either. Haven't heard a peep from the neighbors in the 5 years I've owned it. .22 bolt action with an 8 round auto indexing magazine.

IMG_20151231_134543.jpg

Dom and MichiFishy like this.
  14. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Ive got the new .22 Benjamin shooting regular RWS targets and the other Benjamin in .177 gets Premier ultra magnums. I have a lot of fun dialing in air rifles, almost more than my other guns. Probably because its cheaper haha
    1582671131900771016733.jpg

wpmisport and RMH like this.
  15. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Im gonna have to check out that brake, seems like it really calmed it down in the video