close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help With Streamer Setup

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by Munuscool, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Munuscool

Munuscool

Hello everyone, I've been making efforts to get into fly fishing but am still not quite there yet. I've done well catching salmon on flies using spinning gear, but am looking into buying a real fly-fishing setup. I would be using it for salmon and steelhead so it would be an 8 weight. I've considered the Orvis Encounter for $169 as an entry outfit. My question is would it matter what setup I purchase if I would use it for streamer fishing? I think the Encounter comes with floating line so would I need to swap that out with sinking line? Also just to be clear, you tie the fly line to a leader, then the sink tip, and then the streamer? I would be streamer fishing in fairly fast current in a river setting. Thanks for any help.

2. AllenMorgan

AllenMorgan

It would probably be a better idea to get a sink-tip line instead of a full floating line. Tie the leader to the end of the sink-tip, then tippet to the leader, then fly/streamer to the tippet.

In a perfect world, get an extra spool for your reel, and set that up with backing, sink-tip, leader, etc. That way you can switch from floating to streamer setup quickly.

You might want to look into a "shooting head" for a floating line. I believe that would turn the line into a sink-tip. Be advised of issues with the line "hinging" at the joint, or possibly tearing apart.

Munuscool likes this.

3. tuckersdad

tuckersdad

Munuscool likes this.
  4. Munuscool

Munuscool

Thanks guys. In terms of feet how long should the sink tip, leader, and tippet be? I've read anywhere between 4 and 9 feet for the leader. Not to sound redundant, but if you have the leader already attached, couldn't you just tie direct to your fly as opposed to adding on tippet?

5. AllenMorgan

AllenMorgan

Tippet works to save your leader. If you tie your leader directly to the fly, each time you cut the fly off and tie on something else, you loose a little bit of leader. Eventually, you'll have to replace the leader completely. By using tippet, you'll replace the tippet every so often, but not the leader.

I tie up my own knotted leaders for topwater flies. I've been using the same one for a couple years now. I use loop-to-loop connections, so it's easy to remove/replace/swap out both leader and tippet, if I need to.

From what I remember, if you fish floating line only (like I do right now), you want a longer leader to let your fly get down to the fish. However, if you're using a sink-tip or sinking line, your leader only needs to be about 4' long.

Munuscool likes this.
  6. HuronBrowns

HuronBrowns

I would just say get a switch rod dude. Swing up steel, possibly kings, indicater rigs work with them too. Streamer fishing for steel especially is a different beast, it definitely is not a numbers game to catch them consistently stripping bugs. If you still want to go that route and strip streamers for steel and kings get an 8wt with a wf7 or 8 rated airflo streamer max long line instead of the short. I assume you'll fish bigger rivers anyway so dont get the short. Check out Tommy Lynch's and Russ Maddins stuff. They have those methods locked down. Tommy tied drunk and disorderlys primarily for big aggressive brown trout until he found out steel were annoyed with this fly and would destroy it. He then tied a mini drunk only for steelhead. Thats the setup he used, the streamer max lines to get the fly down quick while the down turned eye on the hook helps grab the water and push it away with the deer hair head giving it a crank bait wiggle. Same concept throwing hardware for them but using flies and it works but it is not a numbers game. I would just buy a switch rod and spey cast and swing for steel

Dagen and Munuscool like this.
  7. Munuscool

Munuscool

Ah ok thanks guys. This helps a lot.

8. AllenMorgan

AllenMorgan

I met a guy in my area this Spring; he's tied up over 100 D&D's. All sorts of different colors. I'd hate to think about how much money he has tied up in materials.....