Help with prop

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Smooz, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Smooz

Smooz

Thanks to all. FMD your the man. I agree that I am under powered "when loaded" I honestly would love to repower with a 150 (max power 175) but not in the budget. Thanks for the offer. I was planning on waiting until spring to make any changes to be playing with prop pitch as the soft water days are limited this time of year. My inlaws are on Chemung and I might just take you up on your offer.

2. FishManDan

FishManDan

Funny that is where I was thinking. I live about 5 miles south of there,

Let me know.

Smooz likes this.

3. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

I with bowhunter on this dirty fuel injectors but before pulling it apart get the old gas out. Then mix seafoam 1oz. per gallon of 90 octane rec fuel and 20 gallons thru it and see where your at. For the age of the motor if the fuel system was not maintained properly the injectors could be clogged.

4. Smooz

Smooz

Thanks WG. No old gas to deal with. I have run about 4-6 tanks (approx 200) gal of fuel through it since ownership along with seafoam. I'm not thinking it is a fuel system concern as she starts and idles perfectly at first bump of the key. I am convinced that it is the fact that it is only a 115 merc and trying to get up on plane when loaded. Next spring I will try out a new prop or two and see what I get.

Walley Gordo likes this.
  5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Mounting height looks good, but 115 hp is marginal, particularly with an extra 100# on the stern with the kicker, add on the 175# 3rd guy in a back seat and getting on plane in any rapid fashion is a tenuous proposal. Staying on plane with a modicum of economy is even tougher, I'd look at a deeply cupped, high rake prop for stern lift like a Powertech PTC4 starting out with perhaps a 14" pitch, vented 3/8" because those things bite water like nobody's business. Try Ricky at Brainerd Propeller, the guy know his props, ad will let you try props til he has a fit for your preferences. In your case preferences would be (for me) hole shot, and midrange cruise economy. (staying on plane well). Top end will take care of itself if you can get that thing out of the water.

6. Fishndude

Fishndude

Give Stange's Prop Repair in Bay City a call (989) 893-7779. He can set you up with a good prop to solve your problem, and has great prices. He can tune props, too. He gets a lot of work from marinas.

7. Smooz

Smooz

Esox, Fishndude. Thank you both for your help. Your being generous with calling my friend #175 by the way.

FishManDan and ESOX like this.