Help with deciding

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Jay Davenport, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Jay Davenport

Jay Davenport

I have been looking into getting a 350 or 450 rifle and trying to decide between ar or bolt action. I have decided to go 350 in AR. I have found the ruger for 1050 in stock at 1 store. My money is a little tight and I was thinking of picking up a 350 upper to use on a windham weaponry AR I have and then buy another lower at a later date. What 350 uppers are considered good? I found rock river for 550, cmmg for around 700, and then some cheaper offerings from sanders and bear creek, Davidson defense, and AR stoner. Are any of these uppers good and is this a good way to go or should I just wait and buy the ruger. The rock river I was leaning toward because price is right and in a few months I could buy the matching lower. Thanks for any input on this i would greatly appreciate it. The gun will be used for deer hunting primarily.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Check out Michigan made Brenton.

Jay Davenport likes this.

3. jr9912

jr9912

I have a Bear Creek Arsenal upper shoots just fine for me.

4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

My bear creek arsenal is sub MOA with the 150 grain xp and was under $300

FullQuiver and Jay Davenport like this.
  5. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

Really ? I was a little "Gun" shy of BCA, but I'm hearing good things

IMHO, if it works in a AR platform, then use it.

6. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Honestly I was skeptical as well. I think it was $249 for an upper with BCG. Have about 200 rounds thru it now and it has been good

Resized_20191007_095630.jpeg

Bucket-Back likes this.
  7. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

Can't find a BCA 350 Legend upper local now

8. aacosta

aacosta

Complete GLFA AR 350 cost me about $700 if i remember. Its a Michigan company. No issues at the range. My first AR build
    [​IMG]

9. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I picked up my 350L upper from delta team tactical. I paid $170 for the upper and used a bcg from one of my 5.56 uppers.

Thing shoots pretty dang good.

20200517_121455.jpg

Esquire likes this.
  10. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I got a barrel from GLFA in 450 bushy for one of my ARs. Thats a nice shooter. Gonna have to look them up as I didnt realize they make other components

11. Jay Davenport

Jay Davenport

Thanks for all of the feed back. I purchased a ruger ar 350. What scope would be recommended for deer hunting? I hunt a mixture of fields and thick woods. Field shots could be 200 yards my wood shots prob 60 max. My spot in the woods gets dark early on me though about 1/2 hr before legal shooting hrs ends. I am looking at leupold freedom, vortex crossfire 2, hawke 2.5- 10, or 3-12, I am open to suggestions and is illuminated worth it with what im trying to do. Thank you.

bowhunter426 likes this.
  12. skipper34

skipper34

Get the best glass you can afford. The aiming system outweighs the firearm in importance.

13. Ken

Ken

Yes, the illuminated reticle is well worth it for dawn and dusk hunting, and even in shadows, etc. in the woods when the reticle can get lost.
    Leupold does make the 3-9x40 VX-Freedom in the Firedot Duplex. That one also has a 30mm tube, which helps for light gathering and also adds much more adjustment range. Out to 200 yards that would be perfect.

14. Jay Davenport

Jay Davenport

Ok thanks, does that come with 350 dial or do you order one? I found it with non illuminated calibrated for 350 but can't find illuminated. Also do you like the dial better than hold over points in scope for hunting? I worry about having time or nerves to dial it. Thanks

15. Ken

Ken

Out to 200 I would be more interested in having the illuminated reticle vs. the CDS. If you want both, you have to go back to the VX-R series. 3-9x40 and 4-12x40 both were available in CDS. The entire VX-R line is illuminated. The problem now is finding them. I just recently bought a 4-12x40 CDS VX-R for my 350 Legend. I wasn't concerned about the CDS dial, but I wanted a 4-12 illuminated on it, and CDS came with that. So, I will have the free dial made.
    This is where I got mine. $499, but it was a $909 MSRP scope.
    https://shoot-straight.com/product/leupold-vx-r-4-12x40mm-cds/

I had a VX-R at one time with the ballistic firedot reticle, and I didn't like it. I like just the single crosshair and dot aiming point.