close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me pick a state

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by cwalker5586, Jan 12, 2018.

1. cwalker5586

cwalker5586

Trying to get opinions from the guys that are more well rounded in diy out of state hunts, frankly, I’m bored of Ohio, scouted missouri last year but never made it out there to hunt, what state would you guys choose to do a public land diy hunt? Iowa is out of the picture because I don’t have enough points yet

2. thill

thill

Kentucky! Over the counter tags, beautiful landscape, quality deer, lots of public ground...it checks all boxes for what I'd look for. I'm doing Ohio this coming fall and hopefully Kentucky in 2019. I researched many options and KY is my first choice, I'm only doing Ohio because it's more convenient for the other guys in my group.

3. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Just whitetail? Archery equipment or firearm?

4. antzilla

antzilla

Personally I'd love to give Wyoming or Wisconsin a try.

5. cwalker5586

cwalker5586

Yea sorry should have clarified, whitetail only and archery

6. cwalker5586

cwalker5586

Kentucky has always intrigued me, seems like it’s really become popular though, I’d imagine it’s like Ohio in regards to getting away from people?

7. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

I would consider Nebraska, South Dakota, or eastern Montana. Lots of public land and low hunting pressure.

walleyewizard likes this.
  8. Chromelander

Chromelander

Personally I would look at not focussing on a state but how you want to hunt and an area that looks good to you. Simply going out of state doesn't fix what your looking for. Find an Outfitter that suits your needs or find an area that you like if it's a dyi. It may take several years to be successful in both cases. The first time is all about learning and not about the kill. Dont set expectations to high