Help, cross bow for my 11 year old hunting?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by 1fishingnut, Jun 26, 2012.

1. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

My son has had an intrest in hunting :)... I want to get him out, but not sure if I should start him on a 410, 20 Semi auto or a cross bow. He is a little guy like his Dad. I don't want him to be "gun shy" He shoots a 22 dead on. Does not like the 1187 20 with bird shot. He has a small Bow, but he can not pull enough to have a safe kill yet. I am thinking 150# draw cross bow. We would hunt about 25-40 yard shot. I would appreciate any help.

2. 454casull

454casull

The 20 ga. semi "if" it fit him and only him would be the best bang for your buck so to speak. The lightest handling Cross bow I've come across is the Wicker Ridge Warrior. Either or he is going to have to use a rest when he shoots. Parker has a couple that are pretty good too, Enforcer if they still make it comes to mind. Try to keep his shots with the X-bow under 30 yards, it is the proper thing to do.

3. BUSTA'YOTE

BUSTA'YOTE

Read my post in this thread, Post #2.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419526

I have since shot this bow, and it was an excellent shooter. Adjustable from 125# (275 FPS) to 150# (300 FPS), and VERY easy to cock on the 125# setting. This bow has the same trigger and latch box as the top end Parker's. The red dot model is $379, the scope model (which I recommend) is $399.

The LOP is shorter for a youth or small framed archer, but can be lengthened by simply slipping on a Limbsaver recoil pad. It only weighs 5.5 lbs, and will make you say WOW when you hold it.

There are other bows in this price range, but NONE with a Lifetime Warranty. Most others only have a 5 year warranty, some less.

Parker has the youth/small framed archer market cornered with this bow. Start him out at 125# setting, then step up to 150# when he is ready. Don't overlook this one, go shoot it!

The best advice I can give you for a kid, or anyone for that matter, is keep your fingers/thumb away from the top of the rail/barrel. Crossbow strings can and have permanently damaged/removed fingers and thumbs. Before I ever let anyone shoot my crossbow, this point has been firmly planted in their memory. I CAN'T STRESS THIS POINT ENOUGH!

http://www.parkerbows.com/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1117

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Remington 870 Youth Model in 20 gauge. Fits smaller framed kids and women and gets the job done from birds to beasts. :evil:

5. MOTOMAN91

MOTOMAN91

Bought my son (12) a Horton HD150 crossbow and he loves it, got his first deer with it last year. You can get them new for around $200. we put a red dot on it, which he also loves much better than the scope i first put on it. It's light for a crossbow, but we still used shooting sticks to hold it steady. Not the best crossbow out there, but for the money we are really happy with it. He's big enough to shoot a gun (he uses a muzzleloader, less kick our shotgun) but likes bow season better than gun season, for the same reason most bow hunters do. :D

6. irish1169

irish1169

stryker 350 by bowtech, weighs 6.9lbs before scope, very light and has extra safety features, super smooth trigger and arrow retention and is pretty quiet for xbow, it is a short bow and even when he gets older he would still be able to use it. If i was buying one for my kid id give this a good look. Get black limbs from all stryker xbows, cammos have had problems in past, why risk it. By the way, i own this bow and will be using it for tree stand hunting, it is nice.

7. bigbuckmiddaugh

bigbuckmiddaugh

Make sure its light and short for the kids. I had three of them,they didn't like shooting them...too heavy they said. They had hard time holding it up to aim.