Hawthorn / Midwest Crabapple

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by B.Jarvinen, Mar 21, 2018.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

I started a couple threads on these two trees in the Whitetail Habitat forum, check them out over there if you are interested.

One thing I like about Hawthorns in particular is that they are a food source for a wider variety of wildlife than Apple trees are. I am not the biggest fan of Whitetail Mania, as if there are no other species of wildlife out there.

vsmorgantown and Forest Meister like this.
  2. jparks02

jparks02

Does Hawthorn transplant well?

3. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Hawthorn has a fairly simple, strong, deep tap root from what I have seen on 1-0 and 2-0 bare-roots. That would have to be severed to move one that is currently in the ground.

The bare-roots leaf out quite late, which can be a little worrisome on a planting project. They are said to benefit from 'sweating' a little ahead of time - warming them up for a few days before planting (the opposite of how conifer should be handled) but without letting the roots dry out.

Once they are 2-3' tall, I think there is basically no way wildlife can destroy them. I find it a little crazy to plant trees to feed deer where trees can't be planted without investing lots of time and money in hardware armoring of them because there are already so many deer.

What I would like to see is enough customers for tree seedlings requesting Michigan sourced Hawthorn to plant that a Michigan nursery would start growing them a little more. Ideally, I would want to find a 2 year old plant in a nice 2 or 3 gallon pot. Plant it and forget it, except for keeping too much overstory from shading it out.