close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hawaii just went through a ballistic missile warning

Discussion in 'Political Discussions (FreeMichigan.com)' started by Northernfisher, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

:dizzy: Who said you do not?!

2. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

Getting an alert could make that possible. Not getting an alert and you do not have the chance.

3. eyepod

eyepod

4. RMH

RMH Premium Member

5. PencilPlugger

PencilPlugger

How about a first hand report? I'm in Maui and received the alert on my phone. I was on the road at the time in a remote area with spotty coverage so I wasn't able to immediately confirm or deny the warning. I kept driving for a few minutes until I got a signal and didn't see anything online that lead me to believe it was real despite the fact it said "this is not a drill" so I just went on with my day. I didn't encounter anyone who appeared to be traumatized at the four stores I stopped at, although I did hear some comments and people joking around about it. If it had been real, then I guess it would have been my time to go. Can't do much about that!

The good news is that a big swell rolled in and I got to watch the surfers attack 50' waves at Jaws.

[​IMG]

Nitro225Optimax, Scout 2, TDI and 3 others like this.
  6. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Over the last fifteen years or so there have been many attempts to curtail North Korea's nuclear ambitions - diplomacy, bribery, sanctions, pressure on China and other NK allies and now increased saber rattling. You don't like any of them - fine so your new solution is what ?

It's easy to come up with one sentence simplistic criticisms but quite another to come up with viable solutions to a complex problem. How about it ?

9mm Hi-Power[/QUOTE]

And it only took you two rather extended sentences for you to come to the defense of the most brilliant and mentally stable president we've ever had.

Imagine if you had taken the time or put in the effort to offer an actual reply.

7. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

8. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power

Please point out where I defended Trump or any previous president - I must have missed it.

9mm Hi-Power

9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Without seeing IR signatures in target country areas it would be very unlikely that we would launch a retaliatory strike.

10. jps

jps

Very insensitive on his part. As usual, if does not affect him, he does not care at all.

Oldgrandman likes this.
  11. RMH

RMH Premium Member

You guys are better to stay indoors. You could get hit by lightning...or maybe even a bus.

12. miruss

miruss

By this post alone i can tell you have NEVER SERVED IN THE MILITARY! This was a state agency that sent out this text ! The military are the ones that watch for missile launches they would be the ones notifying HAWAII of a incoming MISSILE! The whole thing from start to finish is less then 40 min! So if after the first text your ass is still alive at 45 min you have no worries!

Scout 2 likes this.
  13. fanrwing

fanrwing

Yes it could have gone very badly. People could have been injured or killed in the panic caused by a useless warning.
    As for a retaliatory strike not likely unless you really think the president has a button on his desk or that the president can on a whim order a nuclear strike.

sparky18181 likes this.
  14. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

I have talked with a few people that went through this. That includes one of my relatives in California that got woken up by a flood of test messages that his family loved him. That person did not know what was wrong but knew something was very wrong.

As to which of the accounts above are the more accurate; well they both are.

If you think that many people in Hawaii did not go through about 40 minutes of terror you are wrong. If at the same time you think that everyone on the islands stopped what they were doing an quivered in fear you are also wrong.

I have talked to a family member who was in Hawaii yesterday. They were at the gym working out. When the alert came in everyone's cell phones went off. They kept doing what they were doing for a short period before they looked up and everyone else was standing looking at their cell phones and the bank of TVs.

They said there was no panic in the room. People were trying to call loved ones with no luck because there was no phone service. People were texting because texting was still available.

They were one of the people that texted me, they loved me, as well as that person in California.

There was no useful news on the TV about this until the message came through that is was a false alert.

The people I have been in contact with have been on Hawaii. I am sure the response was different depending which island you were on. When you live on an island made up of 5 volcanoes, 4 of which are active, your outlook on the sudden end of life as you know it might be a little different than the normal.

15. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

Well here is a news flash for you. A civilian controls our military.