Having issue with braided line

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Filthygoat96, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Filthygoat96

Filthygoat96

I am new to musky fishing and recently purchased a bass pro brand musky rod, fairly priced and bought 40lb braid. Line kept getting frayed and breaking. Ended up hooking a really nice musky had it by the boat then it took off and snapped my line. Bought some 65lb suffix 832 and its seems to be fraying as well. Did it on 2 different baitcasting reels and the rod is brand new, I checked the eyes with a qtip and didnt notice any cracks or burs so any input on how I can fix this line fraying would be great.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    on a call likes this.
  2. piketroller

piketroller

Is everything that comes off the reel in-use fraying or just the last couple feet? Are you casting or trolling? Pulling the against reeds or the edge of the boat or something else? 40 pound is probably way too light if you are using traditional sized muskie lures. 65 pound is generally the minimum you want with 80 or 100 being options.

Without any other information, I’d say one of the guides on the rod would be the prime suspect. Inspect them thoroughly.

tincanary and sureshot006 like this.

3. on a call

on a call

I would think you looked at your guides....one little crack will cause you a headache. I know.

As mentioned...is the whole line or just the end.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Tip 1. Sounds funny but take a pair of pantyhose (aquire them in a non creepy way) and run it through the guides of the rod. Should not snag up. You may have a rough spot or crack.

Tip 2. 80# minimum for musky casting.

Personal Business likes this.
  5. tincanary

tincanary

You can use a Qtip and run it around the guides. If you see any cotton coming off, take the rod back and exchange it.

Shoeman, on a call and sureshot006 like this.
  6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Oh come on... i wanted him to go buy some pantyhose lol

7. tincanary

tincanary

I just wanted to save the guy trouble from flossing line guides lol

on a call and sureshot006 like this.
  8. Filthygoat96

Filthygoat96

Casting mostly large bucktails, it's spotty throughout all of the line that comes out from a cast. I checked with a qtip pretty thoroughly and no fibers caught on anything in or around the eyes. Could it have anything to do with spooling it not tight enough, or to tight of drag and the line digging in? Also has no mono backing but I cant see that causing this issue

9. Filthygoat96

Filthygoat96

Ok just got home from work and was inspecting the eyes very closely, and with a flashlight I was able to spot a crack in the eye on the tip. Can feel it with my fingernail now that I found it. Guess I'll be returning this rod tomorrow for something of better quality as I just bought it like 2-3 weeks ago. Thanks for your input guys

10. on a call

on a call

I never underestimate common sense and it appears you are using it. You might try and magnify glass to look at the eyes. There is something someplace that is causing your line to fry. It could be anyplace from the reel on out. There are only so many contact places.

Speaking of reels...what are you using ?

Before replacing your line...find out what is causing it ! Could it be that line is like this before you started ?

11. on a call

on a call

Yeppers you have it !
    I have three muskie casting rods. What size are you using ?
    Personally I like the longer rods and use bait casting reels. I can cast like a pro once set up right. I have one that is a spin cast that I offer to those learning or have no experience throwing heavy weighted lures.
    Hope you hook some nice fish.
    Make sure they replace your line...free.

12. on a call

on a call

PS...ceramics will crack with a sharp blow .... so, be sure not to do that.

tincanary likes this.
  13. Filthygoat96

Filthygoat96

The rod I'm gonna return with cracks in the eye is a 7'6 baitcasting rod. Been having a lot of fun musky fishing recently, except for this issue which caused me to lose a really nice fish over the weekend. I'm gonna goto bass pro in the morning to return this rod, any recommendations on a good musky rod under $200?

14. on a call

on a call

Well first...one that has no cracked eyes :).
    I like my St. Croix that is 8' in the medium heavy with a fast action. It has a bait caster on it and casts like a dream. Nice retrieve with the ability to jig due to the back bone.
    However use what you like and know will hook up. Using heavy lures requires strength both in the line, rod, and reel. Again I have a spin cast...but that is not my go to at all.
    I do like ceramics but just watch out and have a back up just in case.
    Nice to hear you had some hookups. Keep it up...last weekend was good for pike too.

15. Fishndude

Fishndude

When you exchange that rod, you should take a magnifying glass, and triple-check the guides on the rod you are taking in exchange.