Has anyone used a deer decoy? If yes,......

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by MILONEWOLF, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Fool'em

Fool'em

I think running 6-8 decoys would be fun. I haven’t tried it yet but I can picture it in my head. Couple bucks and the rest does. Some feeders maybe a bedded doe or two. Make it realistic enough I’ll bet that would work.

Even better if I practice shooting my bow from laying on my back I could hide beside an oversized bedded doe and make my set in the middle of an open field.

Someday I would like to shoot a deer over an entire flock of decoys. For no reason other than no one else is doing it.

MichiFishy likes this.
  2. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I like your style.

Fool'em likes this.

3. Roman1

Roman1

I tried a friends 2D decoy. It was fairly easy to set up, much easier to carry than a 3D and quiet also. I was able to draw some deer across a field a little quicker than they normally crossed and a little closer to my setup, which gave me several shot opportunities. I would add that once the first deer (a small buck) passed by far enough to see it was a only a picture, he spooked a bit but never ran away. The others hardly showed interest.

Wild Thing likes this.
  4. Fish Hook

Fish Hook

Brighton, MI / Lud Fishing / Scottville Hunting
    I used a Montana "Dreamy Doe" decoy last November, a week before gun season. Had a small 5 point buck see it in my clearing, and come to it on a string...but once he got within 25 yards, he realized it was a ploy and bounded off - not totally spooked but he knew something was not right! Got a pretty cool phone video of it, and could have killed him.

pgpn123, Wild Thing and Bucman like this.
  5. Bucman

Bucman

I put my dreamy doe out in my back yard to lure deer from the swamp across the water. They think it is safe seeing her standing in the yard. They will come to the edge and hang out. Its about 80 yards across. Ive had yearlings swim over to hang out also.

Wild Thing likes this.
  6. RADARMAN

RADARMAN

I used to fool with a doe decoy alot and thought it was a blast. First off, I never used it during firearm season, wouldn't feel comfortable getting it out to the blind. Second, like most everyone else I discovered old does would come in suspicious. I always tried to set it up in a conspicuous spot like a small knoll on a picked bean field or cornfield where it could be spotted at distance. There'd be times when I'd end up with tons (10, 15) of does and fawns milling around....and a couple of decent bucks, too. I dealt with the suspicion/fear factor by having my wife sew up a tail from brown, white, and black felt. I'd have her sew a couple washers in it for weight and attach it to the decoy and run some 8lb. mono up to my ladder stand. When the deer started to get hinky just a little "all clear" twitch of the tail was all it took. I had deer walk into the line and knock the decoy over more than once. To me it was an interesting way to bring them in close and observe. I had tons of fun with a fawn in distress call, too. It looked like a duck call, I'd just start wailing away on it, worked like a champ. I've seen does leave their fawns and come stomping over with their chests all puffed up, looking for trouble.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  7. 2stix-and-a-string

2stix-and-a-string

I have used decoys for 35 years now.
    There are many things to consider.
    Just setting it up and waiting for a deer to come WILL NOT work.... lol.
    The decoy is a deadly tool if used properly & oh...... I probably use mine about 4 times a year.
    It’s a one shot deal!...... you will NOT fool a big buck twice with it!
    DO NOT use scent on it either!!!
    I’m not going to divulge any more secrets but will say they work VERY WELL, when used in the right place and time. (Think it through before you do).
    I’ve had them work from October 01 through December (mine has removable antlers).
    I shot my biggest buck from 7 paces on the ground because he looped downwind of the decoy “trying” to taste the wind.
    Very exciting stuff!!
    Good luck and shoot straight.

8. Martian

Martian

I have used dekes a lot and they can work , and they can work in mi. I say can, because it is like a good fishing lure, nothing works all the time. I limit them for thr rut,I also like to position them where they are more in the open, . ( thick woods are tricky, I have had does, and bucks run away), I have come to the conclusion, they do not like to be surprised. If using a doe, I put doe urine on the ground between her back legs, and face the doe quartering away from you, a buck should come to the backside to mount. If using a buck, I use small horns , I want a buck to think he can whip the subordinate , and I out the head quartering towards me , so the buck should come to the head to fight. places him quartering away. I never "blind call" unless I am using a deke, again, to eliminate the surprise. I do not have much experience in using a deke in the regular, non rut time of year. they are fun, and work

pgpn123 and Wild Thing like this.
  9. Martian

Martian

I also have 3-d dekes, and the montana style. I like the 3-d better, and I think , if the montana is approached face on, they may not be seen. i have been trying using only one horn. I had it suggested to me that a buck may think the deke is weaker,( may be hunters opinion ), , and also , i used to save a real tail from a previous kill to put on the butt, but now, I use meijers bags , ( plastic 3-4) layered,, with a brown plastic bag over the top the slightest wind makes them move.. MAKE SURE YOUR DEKE IS CLEAN!!

Wild Thing and Namrock like this.
  10. sniper

sniper

I use them a couple times a year. They’ll bring in young bucks and does in on a string. Mature bucks not so much in my experience. I did have a nice buck run over my decoy in the predawn hours one November morning. The noise that came on impact could be heard hundreds and hundreds yds away. They do add an exciting element to a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

11. Fool'em

Fool'em

Biggest buck I’ve ever shot at came into a decoy.
    At least 160 maybe more. I remember thinking how great that deer was going to look in the back of my truck. Shot an arrow right past his antlers. Guess you know what I was looking at.
    He took 2 jumps and stopped, stood there looking at me and then looking at the decoy.
    I got drawn back with the 2nd arrow and he finally bolted.
    Maybe he was over 180.
    every time I think about him he just keeps getting bigger.

I think a doe decoy or if the antlers are too small you don’t scare young bucks but you also don’t challenge the big ones. I always run both antlers to make the decoy look as big as possible. I don’t mind if it makes mid sized buck nervous. I didn’t carry the dang thing around to attract non targets.
    Get less responses maybe, but when one does respond it’s exciting.

It’s kind of like rattling for me. Doesn’t always work as there is not always a big deer nearby. But it’s worked just often enough to keep me hooked.

sniper, on a call, pgpn123 and 3 others like this.
  12. Dish7

Dish7

In Illinois, I used one that worked to perfection. Just not on an Illinois shooter. I had a great hour glassed shaped bean field. I did not have a great tree in the "neck" of the hour glass, which narrowed down to about 40 yards across. Made it work in a "skinny" tree because it was just too good of a spot. Every buck that saw that deke came on a string to check it out. Just not anything that I wanted to shoot in Illinois. What a blast though.

I've used one sparingly on my property, though not in a long time. I just don't have the open space for it. I will say that there have been several times that I wished I'd had one, even in a bit of cover. Last season for one. Had a shooter pretty worked up with my grunt call while he was guarding a doe. Twice he came to about 40 yards in the CRP and stared in the direction of my tree. Just wouldn't commit when he didn't see anything. Watched him chase off several smaller bucks that day with bad intentions. If I had a decoy there...who knows?

I think decoys definitely will work in MI. Just like anything else, the buck has to be in the right mood and the hunter can't be afraid to fail.

pgpn123, sniper, Fool'em and 4 others like this.
  13. Namrock

Namrock

Think I remember your LFTS posts from that. Could almost hear you saying GET OVER HERE from my stand.

14. Dish7

Dish7

Yep, it was a daylight to dark affair that day. I knew where he was all day protecting that doe. Had the release on the string twice. So close, lol.
    20191110_083120.jpg

15. Ryfarm48

Ryfarm48

I use one every season that converts from a doe to a buck, called the primos fork horn. During the rut, I don't leave home without it, I have killed all my biggest bucks because of it except one. I have had deer eat with it for an hour straight. I have some great cell video of decoy encounters. I believe in them quite a bit. There is definitely a good and bad way to use them, I always put mine past me were I anticipate the deer will come from just in case they hang up (they hang up right in front on treestand).

pgpn123, Wild Thing, Bucman and 2 others like this.