Has anyone used a deer decoy? If yes,......

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by MILONEWOLF, Aug 1, 2020.

1. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

Has anyone used a deer decoy and if so, what kind and what or how did you set it up? Curious if it does work?

2. kdogger

kdogger

All I’ve ever had happen was doe stomp and blow at it.

3. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

Well, that is something.

4. Namrock

Namrock

They can definitely work, I've seen it. But just like almost everything else in deer hunting, it doesn't work everytime. As kdog said, I've definitely noticed that the does can get spooky around them. I have some friends just East of the Missouri River who swear by decoys during the rut there.

Dish7 likes this.
  5. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

Decoys seem to work on video, always somewhere else other than Michigan. my experience thus far, grunt tube works to get their attention, and rattling has never worked for me. I use turkey decoys in the spring and the does get spooked and start blowing.

TriggerDiscipline, RKPTA and Namrock like this.
  6. Namrock

Namrock

I hear you. But I've seen it more than once in person, not just in hunting videos. It's almost surreal when your watching it happen. It's by far the coolest thing I've seen while deer hunting.
    Screenshot_20200801-172909.png
    Screenshot_20200801-172917.png Screenshot_20200801-173026.png
    Screenshot_20200801-173056.png

Dish7, jme, kingfisher 11 and 19 others like this.
  7. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

Great Pictures!!!! Was in Michigan or Kansas or ?

8. Namrock

Namrock

South Dakota. Like you mentioned, I've never had that kind of results here in Michigan. I believe it has a lot to do with the # of older age class bucks & them having to be more proactive to make sure they get a seat at the ladies table. Also would guess that the open terrain makes the dekes more visible from further away & that pulls them in from a greater distance. Probably a 1000 other reasons why it works better there, but boy does it!

Dish7, pgpn123, snortwheeze and 2 others like this.
  9. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Yes, but never with any success.

TriggerDiscipline and Namrock like this.
  10. Matt3ddsteel

Matt3ddsteel

My dad used to use one quite a bit years ago. Had good success bringing in small bucks with them, but never any nice ones. And yes the does do not like them at all. They seem to figure out they are not real almost immediately and just cause a scene with the stomping and blowing.

Wild Thing, Esquire and Namrock like this.
  11. old graybeard

old graybeard

I've had some success with does and young bucks. 20171108_075311.jpg 20171103_081903.jpg 20171105_080658.jpg

Dish7, pgpn123, Wild Thing and 2 others like this.
  12. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

Not sure if that says anything about bucks looking for any kind of whitetail? It seems to me that many of these techniques work in other locations but not Michigan. Maybe it is the age of the deer, we do not let them grow old enough to dominate the other bucks? Simply we have deer that are not easily fooled by decoys?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  13. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

I have been using one for about 7 years I get the same reaction everywhere I have used them. Even in Michigan. If they weren't so heavy and cumbersome I would carry it all the time lol I have had does come up to it and sniff its butt and had does come up and stomp at it. I have had bucks come over 600 yards across a field to confront it. I have yet to have a deer that saw it not come into bow range to at least check it out. They are like a strut decoy for turkeys they don't always work but when they do it makes it almost too easy !!

The only caution I would say is be careful how you set it and don't use it in gun season. The deer may be smart in Michigan but not all the hunters are. Last year the landowners grandson who said he was not hunting that day tried to stalk up to it and then shot at it with his crossbow before I could get his attention. If it wasn't scary it would have been hilarious to watch how easily some are fooled by a decoy !!

14. Fool'em

Fool'em

Caught a poacher with one once.

I was at the other end of the field with my decoy deployed. Guy tried to put the sneak on it and was watching the decoy and never saw my buddy in a ground blind.
    I wish I could have seen the look on the guys face when my buddy started talking to him from 20ft away.
    Guy had been trying to get permission to hunt the farm so when we told the landowner what happened and who it was landowner said that guy would never hunt his place. All of us got a good laugh at that poor trespassers expense.

Oh and decoys work great except they are a pain to haul around. Takes the right set up where it’s open enough for the deer to see it. I am usually hunting public land and traveling too far to carry a decoy but on private land with the right set up they work at least often enough.

15. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Zero success here in either Michigan or Pike County, Illinois. The first doe to see them proceeds to start blowing and stomping and the hunt is pretty much over from there. I've tried them with and without antlers.

I can not recall if I actually used one during the rut?? It was definitely an October hunt when I used one in Illinois and probably also October hunts here in Michigan. Have not tried a decoy in years.