close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone heard anything more on a sandhill crane hunt in Michigan?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Cork Dust, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

I think you make a good point, however, different agencies handle the depredation kills, so the MDNR does not see a carcass ever, just the eventual number on a piece of paper...far less impactful.

2. ongo

ongo

Currently their are 15 other states that allow hunting of sand hill cranes. You need a state and federal license in those states.Some permits have been issued in Michigan to hunt,kill,and eat sand hill cranes, in one year.
    Keith Matheny of the Detroit Free Press says:
    “There is a federal program where hunters that are experiencing a nuisance from these birds can get a permit now to shoot them,” Matheny said. “You actually can eat them after you shoot them when you kill them with this permit, but that permit use in Michigan has been pretty limited. It’s under 80 permits as of last count, have been used in a year.”
    Link for this article;
    http://michiganradio.org/post/sandhill-crane-hunt-coming-soon-michigan
    I'm just hoping the DNR keeps looking at the numbers till a $ sign lights up. Who knows, maybe even in my life time?

3. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Actually, I know that one farmer in this program as a particpant has to turn his birds over. The last dollar figure I heard him state was $100 for each permit.

4. craigrh13

craigrh13

You cannot eat them and the whole program is a PIA according to farmers I’ve talked to. A lot of it is hasndled in their own through SSS.

5. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Page 13 has the ten year depredation counts, stratified by county.

Attached Files:

6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I hear farmers complain about a few dozen. These cleaned of my standing corn in 4 days.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1523557040.930741.jpg

wavie likes this.
  7. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Rudyard area by the coop barn complex along i-75 would be my guess. Southern Marquette potato farms are the same way, along with a farming belt over along the Fence River.

8. ongo

ongo

Cork dust, was the "farmers" permit for the year? I'm just a messenger providing an article about "hunters" acquiring a permit. Also for some reason I can't get the file you listed to load.

Craigrh13, the article clearly states that with this "hunters permit" you can eat these birds. I'm not sure what-PIA and SSS-means, so please forgive my ignorance to those references.

Because of my interest in this subject, I think I'll dig a little deeper to see what else I can come up with, it may take awhile,but, more to come!

Just not used to this windows 10 yet cork dust. It did load the file you listed, it was down at the bottom of the window. And that's the same file I listed the link to in post #32.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  9. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

He said they run forward from date of grant. I never thought to ask him is there was a expiry date after he told me he had to turn all birds killed over to the USFWS. He gets "hit" the hardest in spring when the birds walk the rows of corn seedlings pulling them in sequence. He is a dairy farmer.

I tried a variety of search wordings on depredation by sandhill cranes in Michigan, with and without adding USFWS. I never had anything that actually outlined the application process pop-up.

ongo likes this.
  10. ongo

ongo

Yes in my area the dairy farmers also are being hit really hard. Also the soy bean crops are being hit as well

11. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

MSU Extension Service...

Permits to control birds
    All birds are protected from lethal control except starlings, house sparrows and feral pigeons. A Project Control Permit issued by the DNR is required when restricted use pesticides are used to control nuisance birds outside of buildings. Most migratory birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA), including Canada geese, sandhill cranes, gulls, hawks and waterfowl. Under the MBTA, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) has the authority to issue depredation permits to control damage caused by migratory birds. A depredation permit is required before any person may kill, possess or transport migratory birds for depredation control purposes.

No permit is required merely to scare or herd depredating migratory birds other than endangered or threatened species or bald or golden eagles. In addition, no federal permit is needed to control red-winged blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles and crows when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance.

Depredation permits cost $100 and are renewed on an annual basis. These permits allow producers to kill a specific number of birds causing damage and are intended to reinforce the ongoing non-lethal harassment. Producers must have attempted non-lethal harassment before a permit will be issued. Information on non-lethal harassment techniques can be obtained from USDA Wildlife Services. Any birds killed are to be disposed of in accordance of the permit and are not to be used for human consumption.

As a former MSU employee, in their Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife, I was too dumb to recall that some of the Extension outreach monies are Federal sourced. Ooops!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    ongo likes this.
  12. Lenny K

Lenny K

Hunted Snow geese in the rain water basin south of grand island Nebraska again this February and March . poor guys have to look at hundreds of thousands of sandhill crane’s you can never pull the trigger . And the tree huggers keep buying up land around the Platte River and close it to all hunting And have millions of dollars in the Crane trust. It brings in thousands of people who just want to take pictures and look at them as they block the roads while we look for geese. I’m sure they will use their money to defeat Any attempts to harvest cranes in Michigan.

13. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

I diverted through there on my way down to pick-up a new dog in Kansas. It is quite a sight, albeit a renewable one...

ongo likes this.