close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone heard anything more on a sandhill crane hunt in Michigan?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Cork Dust, Apr 9, 2018.

1. jwinks

jwinks

They are good. I think people hype them up a little bit because they are rare and exciting. I think the best comparison would be to a venison backstrap, but with a little more mild flavor. People often say “ribeye”, but that’s unfair because beef ribeyes are loaded with fat and the cranes I have eaten were still lean. A breast comparable in size to a honker. The legs were also delicious, like roast beef, but it was a bit of work to sort through the inedible tendons and junk.

Cork Dust likes this.
  2. Firefighter

Firefighter

He was actually pecking my truck. He also put a hole in my neighbor's screen door, and you'd be amazed how much lawn one can destroy in an hour.

He and his pals weren't making many friends, but they learned quickly not to wreck stuff on my property, or they'd be dodging footballs and the like rifled their direction.

We've come to an agreement- they no longer wreck stuff, and I don't pay any attention to them :)

Bucman and The Doob like this.

3. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Pretty spot-on assessment of sandhill crane. DO NOT OVERCOOK them! The guys who loaned us their crane silhouettes years ago to copy, grilled the wrapped in bacon. The only way I have cooked them that I didn't care for was in a hand-made Asian black bean sauce. They just weren't strong enough to stand-out in that sauce base against the asparagus.

The legs make some great sausage: https://honest-food.net/wild-game/d...-salami/toulouse-style-duck-or-goose-sausage/

I just made some with goose and some with sandhill crane from last fall. This is an easy sausage to make, but very flavorful.

4. rork

rork

There are tons near me but I'm willing to wait a few more years, because I don't think they are fully using the available habitat yet. I'm saying there might be "blanks" still - suitable but unused places. The bird lovers will argue that this demonstrates less than full recovery. It seems like the population is still growing without anything like a plateau (but data is very noisy), so I'm hoping they will blanket everywhere soon. I could be wrong on these matters, and maybe am being insensitive to farmer's losses, and need educating. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2017_sandhill_crane_status_554043_7.pdf
    I look forward to the work in the kitchen someday, and think it won't be too long.
    PS: Just read David Thompson's "Narrative" and highly recommend it to outdoors types. Exploring mostly the Canadian wilderness, 1790-1812, but also Montana, Idaho, Washington. They eat "white headed eagles" and the "American tiger" - everything except loons actually.

5. ongo

ongo

Grilled wrapped in bacon sounds pretty good.
    A couple years back I sliced up some grouse,morning dove and sand hill crane breasts, all across grain,none thicker than
    1/4 ". Put a light dusting of flour and a dash of salt with a sprinkle of pepper on each piece. Flash fried in hot bacon grease. The grouse was as expected,Good. Morning dove was also Good. That crane though was Really GOOD!
    Last fall on the PBS station during the "Ask The DNR" program I called in the question. When might we expect a Sand Hill Crane season, if ever? Their response was. They've been looking into it and that Sand Hill's can be found in every county in Michigan. That was the last I'd heard about Sand Hill's till this thread. I know the farmers hate them. A flock will land in a freshly sprouted corn field. Each bird walking down a row pulling up every sprout as they go. I'd expect the DNR to grant block permits just to get rid of them. And I'd gladly do it, just to keep the meat. They are very tasty!

rork likes this.
  6. piketroller

piketroller

Are those regulation footballs or the mini 40 grain varieties?

ongo likes this.
  7. wavie

wavie

Permits are given but currently I believe the meat can not be kept for consumption.

8. lefty421

lefty421

Ribeye of the sky, LOL.

Tip: wrap the crane breast in bacon, grill until the bacon is crispy. then discard the crane breast and eat the bacon.

We tried eating one out in ND one year, but it was terrible and all the locals gave us the above tip. We've never bothered hunting again. Not to mention the crane permit has gone way up in price since then.

9. Rockybear

Rockybear

10. Socks

Socks

This will never happen.

11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Terry Minzey came to our Coalition meeting on Tuesday. I asked if there would ever be a sandhill crane season. The chances of having a season is less than slim and none. As the UP supervisor Terry is well aware of the agricultural damage that a flock can do.

12. ongo

ongo

Before the passage of proposal G, the same thing was said about Wolf hunting in the U.P. So much for "less than slim to none". Proposal G currently covers 38 species of birds and mammals. I guess time will tell.

13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

If you don’t have the DNR on board it will not happen. Good luck on lobbying the NRC to get them to order the DNR to them to go through their procedure required to write a WCO.

14. Shlwego

Shlwego

Sandhill Crane hunting has been discussed quite a bit here. This thread from last fall is about a petition to start hunting them: https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/...rt-sandhills-crane-season-in-michigan.579369/

As I stated in that thread: I have hunted cranes in Manitoba. They are by far my favorite gamebird to eat. Better than turkey, better than grouse, better than anything else that flies. It's red meat, treat it like a steak and you can't go wrong. Those who have tried Crane and don't like it are probably over cooking it. Why wrap it in bacon when you can just grill it like a steak? Keep it med-rare at most and it will be fantastic. I have a friend who over-cooks ducks, too, and because of that he doesn't like them at all and I can't blame him - I've tried ducks he's cooked and I don't like them either. But he can't get his head around eating a "bird" unless it's well done. To each their own, but I would take Crane over any other gamebird I've had in a heartbeat. I have been known to belly crawl a field to get close enough for a shot at a crane and I'd do it again given the opportunity.

The state legislature did pass HR154 which proposed allowing the NRC to consider Crane Hunting, but I have not heard if the Natural Resources Committee has done anything about final approval. After that it would have to be cleared by the Feds, and that would not be a sure thing either. If it did/or does get approved it will be strongly opposed by the anti-hunting groups who are better organized, better funded, and have less in-fighting than pro-hunting groups. Perhaps the way that HR154 was worded prevents a ballot referendum, but even so I think the antis would send this one to the court system - where we might have a slim chance - but only after lengthy challenges and years of litigation. If it can and does go to a referendum, we lose. We as hunters do not have a good record of supporting each other (remember the dove hunt?); and as sad as it makes me, I think that would happen again, as we would face overwhelming advertising against hunting.

Hate to be pessimistic, but that's the way I see it.

By the way, any cranes in Michigan taken by farmers with a depredation permit must be destroyed. You may not legally eat them if taken under a depredation permit. Talk about your Wanton Waste.... What a total shame!

Socks, ongo and ajkulish like this.
  15. ongo

ongo

Yes what a waste of most excellent meat! According to the "Sand Hill Crane Status in Michigan report" page 5 https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2017_sandhill_crane_status_554043_7.pdf

Just in the last 5 years through depredation permits alone more than 4,000 sand hills have been wasted. You never know,but if this trend continues,maybe the DNR will open their eyes to the possibilities of the thing they love the most. MORE REVENUE!!