Has anyone had bulk manure or even clay delivered in the Wellston area?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Steve, Oct 11, 2020.

1. bowjack

bowjack

The farmer near me in Brethren spread residual from the paper mill in Filer City on 30 acres this past summer. It is my understanding the residual is free but there is a waiting list to obtain it. The farmer hauled it in by the semi load, loaded it in a spreader then tilled it in afterwards. Not a pleasant oder if you happen to live close by.

jr28schalm and FREEPOP like this.
  2. grapestomper

grapestomper

We did this in Iron Mountain and the neighbors were all up in arms that we were poisoning the ground water. Wasn't worth the hassle.

3. shell waster

shell waster

just have anti qdm/food plotters come to your field and have a meeting to discuss how bad qdm and food plots are....lots of free manure will be spread

jr28schalm, jparks02 and 3X8 like this.
  4. Plant175

Plant175

I have as much sand as you and my disc sits in the garage. I have a cut down grain drill and just spray with guy and plant and they look just as good as when I used the disc with less effort.

jr28schalm likes this.
  5. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

It's the next thing on my list. What is a cut down grain drill as opposed to grain drill?

6. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Like a 2 row planter verses a 12 row

7. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Gotcha.

8. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I getting pretty good results just spraying and packing seeds. Wish I would have skipped buying the disc and bought a better utv sprayer

9. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Dump the manure in a pile and cover it with plastic so it can cook for the summer. That will kill most of the seeds and start breaking it down.

jr28schalm likes this.
  10. Plant175

Plant175

They take a old 1950’s grain drill which are usually a 8 foot and cut them down to a 4 foot. No hydraulics and built like a tank.

jr28schalm likes this.
  11. farmingsand

farmingsand

I added clay to my sand. Like others said it gets really hard when it gets dry out. It does grow 5 foot plus switchgrass really good though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. BIGJEEPMAN

BIGJEEPMAN

If you go with the 3000lbs of clay pellets, and only do it one time you will be ok. Just work it in, you are only talking a yard and a half over your entire food plot. Maybe add a load of manure with it. See how it goes for a few years, if you think you need more clay to hold water do it again. You wouldn’t even really be able to see that small of an amount of clay.

jparks02 and Steve like this.
  13. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

I have the same issue with sandy plots Nelp. I try to reduce tillage to a minimum to help soil health. I also try and keep something green growing in summer months for same reason. I have been adding wood ashes to help with carbon, magnesium, potassium and ph. You need a lot but every bit helps. I have also been saving a lot of maple leafs every fall and making compost for tree plot which is about complete, but next spring it’s going on a food plot. One thought was bark from a saw mill. bark is full of nutrients, my fear is disease or introducing oak wilt. Manure can help but also you will probably get a lot of weeds. I thought about checking with some coffee shops in the area to get a lot of grounds. I think the way to go is get everything you can get your hands on and rotate crops. I thought about doing buck wheat next year with our deer herd final down in about the first time ever. I would then roll it in July and plant purple top turnip and over seed with rye in September. Not tillage other than spring soil is covered in summer and two plantings in the year. Another thought was planting radish in the spring and let them go to all year. I have a 2x3 test area I plant this spring and they are still green with 3 inch bulbs and 14 inch high greens and roots that go 10 inches, probably not very platable.

14. Plant175

Plant175

Bark and sawdust in large amounts will tie up nitrogen if it’s not composited. Same think with leaves.

FREEPOP likes this.
  15. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

IMG_0079.jpg [/ATTACH] IMG_0080.jpg [/ATTACH]

These are ornamental grasses that you can usually get for free because they they get so big in a persons yard. I dug these from the grounds around a hnursing home that wanted them reduced in size.
    These are planted in sandy soil that will not grow clover, but it will grow BFT. So it's not blow sand. Also in photo is switch grass, asparagus, wild alyssum and BFT.
    Did need to water 1st summer. Got 3-6' tall that year. Now 5-8'. Most 6-7'.
    In 3 years have roughly tripled in diameter.
    Done once and it's forever.

L & O

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020