Has anyone had bulk manure or even clay delivered in the Wellston area?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Steve, Oct 11, 2020.

1. gunfun13

gunfun13

Canton/Lake Bellaire/Jackson Co Property Owner
    I can sell you a 3000# sack of bentonite clay. It's in granule form and would easily go through a spreader.

hawgeye likes this.
  2. trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

Mixing both clay and manure is likely the best way to go. Manure adds organics, nutrients and helps PH, but doesn't do as much to help hold moisture as clay will.

I like the idea of bentonite clay, but 3000 lbs is a heck of a lot unless you are doing two or three acres.

3. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Be careful mixing clay and sand, you can end up with something resembling concrete! In landscaping clay is often used in a 4-6" layer below the same amount of topsoil but not mixed in. Using fertilizer to produce your own organic matter is the reasonable way to go.

Musket, Radar420 and jr28schalm like this.
  4. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Sounds like you might be planting your screen each year. You might consider putting in grasses that will be tall and permanent. Because they were free and unlimited, I went with ornamental grasses in my sandy area that would not even grow clover because of the lack of soil. Planted in the spring and I did need to water as needed the 1st summer. Worked better than I could have hoped for. If I think about, I'll take a picture and post.

L & O

jr28schalm likes this.
  5. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I've added alpaca manure that I got from a place over by Crystal Mountain. I got like 500 pounds thou not really alot.

Steve likes this.
  6. andyotto

andyotto

As was mentioned here be careful of the manure. I got a trailer full of it for my garden. It somehow had Japanese knot weed in it. It has been the scourge of me ever since. If you don't know what the stuff is look it up. Its nasty stuff.

brewster likes this.
  7. Airoh

Airoh Premium Member

Mixing clay with your sand can turn into cement. Not generally recommended.

6Speed and trailtrimmer like this.
  8. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Never quite thought of it that way. Good point.

9. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

Around here most dairy farms compost and sell their manure. Bring dump trailer, it’s what I use for my vegetable garden. My plots I use free horse manure, usually they say I can have it all. Manure made my Egyptian wheat get 12’ in piss sand. I had a hard time getting white pine to live in the sand, but the ew flourished with the manure.

Steve likes this.
  10. stickman1978

stickman1978

Kitty litter. Clay and **** all in one.

Steve and jr28schalm like this.
  11. grapestomper

grapestomper

How about wood ash?

Hear fishy fishy likes this.
  12. trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

That's the advantage of Bentonite clay in granular form. Broadcast it like fertilizer and disk in at the rate you desire. Can go nice and light to prevent creating a hard pan layer.

We use it in the top inch or two of trails to firm them up in sandy soils, but use a little less and disk it in 4-5" down, no harm and better moisture holding.

Airoh and on a call like this.
  13. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

My understanding is that ash will primarily affect the PH. I have been dumping and spreading all my ash in this area.

grapestomper likes this.
  14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

LOL, where were you guys when I was the one shoveling the turds out of the stalls down south? I'd loan you a shovel and you could take home everything you wanted. Just come back every other day please! It's the crop that never quits producing....

Scout 2 and FREEPOP like this.
  15. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

It's fun in the north country. We let it build up over winter, feet thick. Then you get to dig the compacted mess out and throw in out of the window into the spreader. Whatever misses, you get to load a second time.

6Speed likes this.