Harnesse question

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by tenpointbuck, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Yes was my point also.

2. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

True but he was not complaining of bringing up shells.. Dragging botton may also load up the blades with weeds if shallow.

3. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Quality swivels and stiff line. I tie mine with 20lb seguar fluorocarbon.

4. plumbdaworld

plumbdaworld

i switched to a 1 oz inlne with bead and two bearing swivals. havent had issues since. 20200630_214505.jpg

5. wingster51

wingster51

We had problems until we went to ball bearing swivels. They make a world of difference

DoubleJay likes this.
  6. Fish Tracker1

Fish Tracker1

I totally agree with: a good swivel, two hooks and no treble. I have some with the treble, and even tied some myself. But they seem to ball up the crawler and make it spin, they get caught in the nets (like Roofer said) and they get caught in storage. We don't miss too many fish and I think we get more strikes with two hooks and crawlers running straight than with a treble and the tangles it causes. We landed 50 'eyes' in three hours last week.

DoubleJay likes this.
  7. haggerty05

haggerty05

20 lb mono is thick. Almost sounds like the Clevis isnt spinning freely on the line. Are you using folded clevises?
    1.Could be the Clevis is too small to spin freely. If it too big it can bind up as well due to excessive play and drag from blade being pulled through the water. I'm having trouble thinking of a simple way to explain it but it works like a drowning lock if you ever trapped beaver or muskrat. If not google how a drowning lock works.

I use the wire quick change clevis from janns netcraft with 17lb fluorocarbon and only time it twists on me is if I let free spool out too quick of if I haphazardly put the worm on it.

Putting a swivel on it helps but isn't needed if your bb has a snap swivel on it. Also what everyone else said about the treble hook, lose it and go with 2 single hooks. The treble will ride cocked when you put the worm on it and that can add unnecessary spin. If your loosing fish with out it your probably horsing em too quick or giving em a split second of slack line as you take the rod out of the holder or taking off the board. Bring em slow smooth and dont give em any slack.

I'm not trying to bust your chops if its coming across that way just trying to help

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    milanmark and auger like this.
  8. real duckhead

real duckhead

what I have found if you do not match the clevis to the blade/ being clevis to small for blade or line being used it will tangle. above points are taken into consideration but clevis #1 for tangles. Even tho spins freely when checking out of water in currant or trolling sh _ _ happens. Also stainless swivel not brass. I use a barrel swivel that way clip swivel stays on main line pole and you can interchange harness. Now you can also buy plastic clevis so you can changer just blade. I use 20 lb line stainless barrel clevis and my preference are Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. tenpointbuck

tenpointbuck

10. tenpointbuck

tenpointbuck

Thanks for all the help changed to a better swivel seems to be working no tangles today

plumbdaworld likes this.
  11. St. Clair Slayer

St. Clair Slayer

Speed kills. Switch over to willow leaf blades.

haggerty05 likes this.
  12. tenpointbuck

tenpointbuck

I run almost all willow leaf blades they just seem to produce better