close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard side shack build.

Discussion in 'Darkhouse Spearing' started by cwielock, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

I'd go 7'x8', 2x4's for the floor, 2x2's for the roof and studs. Studs 2' on center and 2" foam board insulation. Treat your 2x4's and floor deck with Thompsons water seal. Lay scrap carpet on the floor. Sheet it with luan and paint it a light color. Your local lumber yard will have "cover sheets" of steel you can use for the roof. They're the sacrificial sheets on top of a bunk. They'll have dings but it's a shanty.
    If someone wants to climb up on the roof to inspect it, kick the ladder out from underneath em.
    If you go with a hole on the end, put your door midship. That gives you two corners to stuff crap into. Set the door 4-6" off the floor so you don't bank it shut. Use 3" plastic gas pipe for ski's. Wire it for 12v lights inside and one outside above the door. The deep cycle out of your boat will last all winter on a charge.
    Make a solid hitch to pull it. Nothing's worse than a sailing shanty or one that's chasing you.
    Put in coat hooks and shelves for your dekes and helmets.
    Bolt a milk crate to the wall to hold a 20lb propane tank and heat the beast with a Nu-Way stove.
    Lastly, put a winch on your trailer. A 3500 pound hand crank boat winch or a 12v ATV winch, whatever your budget allows.
    You have 8 months to build it, make a project out of it. Or do what I do, panic in November and build it in a week.

2. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Easiest way to jack up a shanty is to mount one of these on each corner. Screw in a 6" piece of pipe, slap an old style truck's jack under it and start cranking.

upload_2018-4-15_20-12-40.jpeg

Blackhawk294 likes this.

3. cwielock

cwielock

Anyone have pictures by chance? Also of you had to guess what is a good weight to shoot for?

4. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

There's pictures of my big shack framing on page 148 of the "let's see your spears darkhouses" thread.

5. cwielock

cwielock

Crap I forgot about that thread... Haha

6. jasonmichalski

jasonmichalski Darkhouse Ninja

Mine is 2x4 on the floor and 2x2 top, 1/2” plywood on the floor and now 5mm underlayment on the walls, mine has a vinyl paneling for the roof painted black, the ceiling is insulated to stop condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. jasonmichalski

8. Bucks&Ducks

Bucks&Ducks

Jason you should install a roll bar on yours ;)

crittrgittr and jasonmichalski like this.
  9. jasonmichalski

It’s impacted tested to structurally withstand a drop from 10’ up going 40mph. The new trailer I picked should be easier to strap it down on, no flimsy side rails, the only part that’s going to suck is its too short to put the atv on so that will have to be loaded in the truck box.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Scottygvsu and growninmi like this.
  10. Bucks&Ducks

Bucks&Ducks

I had one blow out the back of my truck years ago and landed on a ladies mail box :Modified_:hide:

jasonmichalski and Scottygvsu like this.
  11. Qutwrkgofsh

Qutwrkgofsh

I am in the same boat you are. Here are some pics of the shantys I speard out of in devils lake ND this year. There were 5'x6' and super warm inside. The bench was big enough for 2 people [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

12. Qutwrkgofsh

Qutwrkgofsh

Here's another one that was made out of a FedEx airplane cargo box.i don't have any inside pic's of this one but the bench was on the side that has the angle one the bottom. Then there was about 12-16" of floor then the hole. This one is my favorite because other than the door it's all aluminum riveted together. When I make one it will be like this but I want to put skis on the side and a tow bar off the roof.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

13. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

2x2's in corners offer plenty of strength at great weight savings. Walls made with 1.5" polyisocyanurate laminated to 7/16 osb require very little in the way of reinforcement, and offer great insulation. just cut windows where you want. Frame in doors with 2x2, cut back insulation from OSB 1.5" for nice clean framing........
    Ask for Atlas AC foam nail base insulation or similar at roofing supply house.
    http://roof.atlasrwi.com/products/acfoam-nailable-polyiso-roof-insulation/acfoam-nail-base/

Just paint the inside with a good latex paint..........

jasonmichalski likes this.