Hard side shack build.

Discussion in 'Darkhouse Spearing' started by cwielock, Apr 13, 2018.

1. cwielock

cwielock

I have never speared outta a hard side, Only hubs. But I'm thinking about building one for next ice season. Any tips or ideas recommendations for building one?

2. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

I personally like a hole centered in the shanty. If fishing multiple people it allows for 360 degrees of visibility. If you’ll only be fishing alone then it’s not needed. It’s also not necessary to use standard 2x4s for construction (if making out of wood). Ripped 2x4’s will be plenty strong and cut down on the weight immensely. Heavy shanties can be a real bear to move so keep that in mind when constructing. However making a shanty too light can also be an issue in high winds because they’ll be more prone to being blown away. If it were me I’d try to decide how many people I plan to fish out of it and how I’ll move it on the ice (man power vs horsepower) and back to your home. From there the ideas and options are limitless.

jasonmichalski likes this.

3. jasonmichalski

jasonmichalski Darkhouse Ninja

4. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

And here we thought you were going to say you wish it had eyebolts so it could be strapped onto trailers better. Too soon?

5. jasonmichalski

jasonmichalski Darkhouse Ninja

It has those now, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

chuckinduck likes this.
  6. mondrella

mondrella

My hardside is 4×6. The frame is all ripped 2×4's. I used screws instead of nails my siding is 1/4" Luann painted and sealed. I was lucky enough to find a piece of rubber roof. Its light enough one person can move it and load it with ease in the back of a pickup.

7. mondrella

mondrella

Forgot floor is 1/2" plywood

8. birdhntr

birdhntr

Luan works great.We made one in the late 80's with 5 ply exterior grade oak 1/4".It is now on a old deer lease of ours where we used to hunt placed on top of an old corral and to my surprise I saw some orange in the window last deer season.The roofing was a piece of sheet vinyl flooring.Almost 30 year's old.No stain or paint.I'm sure it's been repaired some but we spent maybe 80 to a 100 to build it.We doubled up the 2 by 4's in the bottom which helped since they can sink in the ice and need to be part loose to move.

9. mondrella

mondrella

My old shanty for the floor frame had 2×4s really added extra weight. I find it's much nicer to have 4 to 8 2×4s only a foot long. I just put these under the corners to raise the shanty off the ice a touch. It prevents the shanty from freezing in. Banked snow holds it in place. My shanty is 12 years and still in great shape.
    I like the idea of the oak it would last forever. Also had quite a bit of strength.

birdhntr likes this.
  10. Bucman

Bucman

I like the idea of JM putting a center hole in his! That way his best photographer can watch Goldie while he’s daydreaming!!:D

jasonmichalski likes this.
  11. growninmi

growninmi

Not too soon lol...lumber hauls better in pieces.
    Sorry Jas, but at least it gives you reason to improve on perfectoon!

chuckinduck and jasonmichalski like this.
  12. cwielock

cwielock

I have a snowmobile I will be pulling it out with. It will mostly have 1-2 people in it. I'm going to put it somewhere out in the bay so transporting it won't be an issue. If my sled won't get it out I have a buddy with a quad.

13. cwielock

cwielock

What's the best materials to use? I was going to use 2x4 and osb but I'm thinking something a little lighter. In your guys opinion what's to big? (I have a little problem of going overboard) and what about keeping it warm? Like I said first build for me.

14. mondrella

mondrella

2×4s I found for a base frame only was ok. But was added weight I did not need as long as I blocked my shanty off the ice. Size is dependent on many factors. My 4×6 is great by myself. A little tight but very doable with 2 people. I had a 5×8 which to big to handle effectively by myself. Worked my but off moving it around. Being a hardside invest in a small propane stove. Like a nuway 16000btu tent stove.

15. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

If it were me I’d use louon for the walls and roof. And plywood for your floor. For insulation I’ve used that 1/2” white panel style insulation in the past and it worked good. Most recently I tried that fan fold in 1/4” thickness. It was much easier to put on and seems to be plenty warm.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018