Hamlin Lake in June?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by ETW, Jun 13, 2020.

1. ETW

ETW

So, my wife and I are heading up to Ludington next week for a few days of fishing. We are getting out on a charter boat on Friday on the big lake for an all day trip but I'm also bringing my small jon boat (14ft) and planning on getting out on Hamlin a few times. We are experienced anglers that fish the inland lakes here around Genesee and Oakland counties for bass and walleye. My question is how is Hamlin in June for bass, walleye and pike? Honestly, I've never targeted pike before and it sounds like Hamlin is full of them. I hear up around the Narrows is decent and I've scoped out a few boat launches on the lake that look decent. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. bapotter

bapotter

Bass will be easy to find and catch. Cast the weedbeds and you'll find them. You'll get pike doing this as well. Walleye can be good if you hit the right spots at the right time. Troll 14-30 ft by the dunes and you have a chance at pike and eyes. The lake tends to get a fair amount of floating weeds but you might be early enough that they won't be a major hassle.

Walleye can also be found pretty deep...30-50ft. Sometimes right on the break other times suspended over open water.

I enjoy the lower lake more than the upper but it can get pretty wavey. Upper can be good for largemouth and pike.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

ETW likes this.

3. chubface

chubface

We'll be on Hamlin Lake July, 11-18. This will be our 7th summer there, so I know the lake pretty well. I've haven't fished it much because the kids would rather go tubing, hang out at the dunes etc. which is fine with me because a fish alot the rest of the vear here in SE michigan. This year I,d like to troll Hamlin for pike. I've got a lifetime supply of spoons and plugs, but I would like to bring just what I would need. Any suggestions sure would be helpful. Thanks.

ETW likes this.
  4. ETW

ETW

Just wanted to say thanks. This helps a lot and reduces my thoughts of "what are we even doing here" if they're not biting. haha

5. 101thwacK

101thwacK

Hamlin is great fishing. Large mouth in the many bays and weed beds, smaller pike as by catch too. Had lots of 100 fish days and very seldom that we catch less than 20. Our group has even hooked into 2 large muskies, lost while trying to get into a landing net. We have really been trying to figure the smallmouth and walleye on this lake out. Most our success with both these species have been around a few of the drop offs, but still are not catching with the consistency we feel we should be so we are continuing to try multiple methods and often new methods every time we go out it seems. Looking forward to others input

6. ETW

ETW

Just a follow up...

My wife and I ended up fishing this lake (Hamlin) 3 out of the 5 days we were there. We used the Ludington State Park boat launch every time. Its a very good launch site. It has 2 launch bays and 1 dock. Typical DNR launch site with a pit toilet nearby. The only thing to watch for is the U-shaped approach to the launch bays. We ran into some guy parked there setting up his boat for launching and he had (intentionally ?) blocked access to both the launch bays. I asked him if he thought I could squeeze by and he came unglued. He bitched for a minute and then angrily threw all his gear back into his boat and moved the boat/trailer out of the U-bend and parked in a spot that allowed others by. I could go on at length about boat ramp etiquette but I won't and I also won't be bullied by a$$ holes either.

Except for that one unpleasant experience our week fishing Hamlin was awesome! My wife caught her PB Largemouth and it was basically non-stop action for bass and pike. We only barely scratched the surface of the great fishing opportunities. The lake is huge and has something for everyone. I think it could take me a couple of seasons just focusing on this lake to really get to know all the good spots. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for some good fishing.

Thanks again to those that gave me some tips.

Go Lions!!!!, DanP, 101thwacK and 2 others like this.
  7. DanP

DanP Premium Member

Fun lake to fish, up to this year have fished for 7-10 days in June the last 10 years. It can be a tuff lake and wind can be a factor. Last couple years we chased eyes and never did figure out the smallmouth. Spent a lot of time pulling harness - you never know what will turn up!!!

8. bombcast

bombcast

I don't overcomplicate things when I walleye fish Hamlin. When it's calm, troll ddhj's along drop offs, out side of weeds. If it's windy, drift fish parallel with weed lines with crawler rigs.

Or drink beer in the sun by the dunes.

Whopper 24 likes this.