Gun season to change? Interview with the bills author and the DNR Wildlife Chief

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Tom Morang, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

Straight from the horses mouth, its all about the money!!! :evilsmile

Who cares what's good for the heard or for the hunters, as long as the state makes more money!!!

2. swampbuck

swampbuck

Rep. Cotter did a fine job presenting his bill. I see a potential ally for sportsmen there. The other guy had great points also with, 84% support the 15th, Thursday having the biggest increase in hunters, And it was interesting that more supported the 15th than supported more big bucks.:SHOCKED:

I think the bottom line is 84% support the 15th. I dont care about giving the DNR more money, We already have enough Kirtland warblers etc etc etc.

Regarding the last part about not wanting the legislature involved, The NRC/DNR brought the legislature BACK into the picture with there own actions.....Such as Their financial problems/ found millions fiasco, a couple years ago, and the crossbow issue for example.

3. NoWake

NoWake

That 84% is from a hunter survey correct? While state lawmakers should take that info into consideration, they have to weigh it with how they feel the rest of the people they represent feel on the issue. They are seeing it as an economic subject more so than a hunter satisfaction subject.

4. Whitetail1

Whitetail1

Mr Cotter knows how to sell this crap. He's going to start with the most important thing to the NRC...MONEY!
    Thank GOD Mr Russ Mason understands the majority of Michigan's hunters don't want this. Lets just see if his feelings change when the special interest groups pressure him. He said in 2009 that 84% of Michigan's hunters said to leave it on the 15th. Why would he even consider the bill? It would be a waste of tax payers money if he even called 1 meeting to review this garbage.
    I like to call this the "City Slicker Bill." It just seems that the majority of supporters have cement city sidewalks and only venture into the deer woods in November. Never to return to give back until next November.

Just an opinion.

5. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

That might be copy right infringement! You better check with brushbuster.:lol::lol::lol:

6. tnt1960

tnt1960

All the state wants is more money! Just like how they made a xbow legal to hunt with so that they can get more money from licenses sold. They don't care about the hunters or the deer. All they care about is MONEY!

7. anonymous7242016

anonymous7242016 Banned

He said more bucks, nothing about their size.:lol:
    I am about sick of this topic, to the point I say leave it on the 15th.

8. Riva

Riva Banned

A lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    And, just what the hell is wrong with money?

Do you think for a moment that we will have better game management with LESS money?

Do you think we'll have more hunter opportunity with LESS money?

Do you think more lands will open up for citizens to enjoy with LESS money?

Do you think that our laws can be enforced more stringently with LESS money?

Do you think our resources will be protected from abuse with LESS money?

I, for one, want the DNR to have MORE money in order to have the highest quality, most efficient, best run, best managed, most strictly enforced Natural Resource department in the USA! And, if that means finding ways to generate new revenue, have at it--including raising license fees and taxing the beejeezuz out of things that should be taxed--like deer bait.

Don Barzini's said in the Godfather movie: "After all, we're not communists."
    I'm not so sure he was speaking for everybody! :dizzy:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  9. hunt-n-fool

hunt-n-fool

The MORE money in order to have the highest quality, most efficient, best run, best managed, most strictly enforced Natural Resource department in the USA! does not guarantee any of it, it only guarantees more money. Case in point, look what "more money" has done for public school systems?

Its govt agency's and more money only breeds more & bigger agency's !

I wished what you wrote could bring along with it a guarantee, then I would be all for it.

10. Riva

Riva Banned

This is turning this thread away from its theme but I'll just say this...more money does not equate to bureaucratic waste. Bureaucratic waste, or any waste in a business, comes from a lack of leadership, a lack in definition in process and, a lack of accountability through checks and balances.

To counter your point. Bloomfield Hills has amongst the highest per-capita student spending of any school district in the State. The have some of the best the best paid teachers. The students score amongst the highest in the MEAP. Almost 100% graduate and, almost 100% attend college. Do they do that because they charge more money. YES! But they also have a plan, are accountable to the plan and, have strong leadership to steer the boat. And money makes that happen.

The bottom line is this..if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  11. hunt-n-fool

hunt-n-fool

Good point, however, its the exception, not the rule when it comes to govt agency's. One example does not convince me (and alot of other tax payers) otherwise.

12. swampbuck

swampbuck

Yup, fix all those things, and you got a deal !

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  13. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Now that's a bunch of BS. What blame are you placing on the schools and teachers ? The fact that many of our jobs have been shipped south of the border or overseas to a much cheaper labor market ? Or is the financial breakdown of our county and a number of other countries during the Bush era ?

L & O

14. Riva

Riva Banned

And now, we'll return you to our regularly scheduled program: "The Saturday Gun Opener." :)