Guided elk hunt help

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Joel/AK, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Ok, I haven't done a real hunt since leaving AK 5 years ago and I'm feeling the itch.

Wife saus to go back and get that ram that has eluded me. I told her not a good idea cuz I wouldn't come back to MI...lol

Anyways a western elk hunt is up my alley.

Logistically, it would be guided since I know absolutely zero about those states.

Where's a good place to start looking? Price? I don't want to be pampered and rough camps are more my style. It's just the logistics.

It would probably be just me and not for a few years.

Thanks

2. ezcaller

ezcaller

You might want to check out a horse/mule pack in hunt in Wyoming/Bridger Wilderness,Colorado/Frank Church Wilderness,Idaho/Selway Bitterroot Wilderness if an adventure is what you want.There are not very many states that offer rifle hunts during the rut so choice of bow/gun comes into play.Bow hunts run a little cheaper and as you probably know money talks when it come to trophy size. Pack in hunt probably run 5000 plus license processing etc.

3. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

If you have backcountry experience, start going to states on DIY hunts. Idaho and Colorado have awesome opportunities for OTC. You will be able to go for 3 years for the cost of a one week guided hunt. The thrill of learning an area and a new animal is worth it in my book.

Have fun, post on what you end up doing!

FREEPOP and brushbuster like this.
  4. brushbuster

brushbuster

If you get another person you can DIY it out in Idaho for 1000 bucks, You got 2 years do a little research, lots of opportunities. You can also put in for point s now in Wyoming and Montana, get a on xmap for your phone or gps and go .
    Im getting points now for Wyoming, I have no idea what is the best choice or area to go Im just getting points now and ill do my research in the meantime.

5. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I see Colorado has a hunt planner service now. Never tried it but there are the hunting records you can research in addition to butt loads of maps.
    Learning an area in one year is tough but it can be done and is very rewarding if it works out.

6. Riverdude

Riverdude

Assuming rifle. Back in 2001 guides were getting $6k in Idaho for a bull tag.
    Archery, over the counter. Idaho would be less crowded.
    My info might be outdated.
    If you go please buy a wolf tag.

7. The Doob

The Doob

It will be tough this year as most of the draw deadlines have passed - Montana results come out today. They do have licenses that get turned back in/turned down so some may become available at a later date.

8. Sewey

Sewey

If you've hunted AK, I'm sure you could navigate your way around a western state.

Last year I committed to doing a guided hunt in MT for my first elk hunt with the BIL. It was going to cost over $6k when everything was said and done. And I honestly wasn't too thrilled with how it was going to go down. We would be staying in a nice cabin, catered meals, hunting private (not high fence), being driven around to glassing knobs until a herd was located and then stalking in from there. That wasn't how I wanted my first elk hunt to go, or any elk hunt to be honest. So needless to say I backed out, and now I have less than half of the money the guided hunt was going to cost me invested in the gear I need to do a DIY backpack hunt, and this gear can be used for countless future hunts.

Sure, my chances of success on a big bull were far greater in MT. But it was severely lacking the challenge and adventure I was seeking. I was ok with having a guide for my first trip as I have no idea what I'm doing. But as luck would have it, I got hooked up with a buddy of mine's dad who has been elk hunting for 13 or so years, and has been successful too. So him and I are taking off for CO this September for an OTC public land hunt. I plan on making this a yearly trip, and expanding to other states as well.

And I have absolutely nothing against those who go on guided hunts; BIL killed his first elk, a spike, two years ago on a guided hunt. And he is wanting to do a drop camp style hunt together in the future, which I'm 100% in on. Just wanted to share my thought process and how I went about going from a guided hunt to a DIY.

Sorry to not really answer your question. Good luck in your search, just getting out there is the important thing. Good luck!

9. WMU05

WMU05

If not for a few years, buy points for Wyoming and you should be able to draw a general tag by the time you want to go. Nearly everyone with 2 points drew this year, but 3 guaranteed it. I'm heading into the Bridger-Teton on a guided pack-in archery hunt this fall. It's pricey ($5,450 plus tags, travel, tips, etc...), which makes appropriate planning and budgeting necessary. Also, I don't have interest in going back every year (too many other things I want to do), so paying for a guide made sense for me versus DIY.

ezcaller likes this.
  10. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Thanks for info and suggestions. Unfortunately, for the next 5 years or so I don't have the time to make multiple trips to get an idea on western states.

11. Ramhunter

Ramhunter

One caution before you tackle a do-it-your-self or drop camp for elk, make sure you think through how to get the meat out. (You're from Alaska, so think moose). Options are be careful how far back in you drop one, have a few in-shape, strong hunting buddies, or consider lining up a packer in advance.

12. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Doing a DIY elk hunt by myself isn't even on my radar. Been on to many moose hunts to know how the fun stops as soon as you pull the trigger.

It's doable for 1 person but I'm getting to old for that.

Forest Meister likes this.
  13. The Doob

The Doob

Kind of fan aside but Montana pushed back their draw to the week of April 23rd. their website indicated that they were going to do a "mock" draw to work out any kinks.

They have been doing this draw for many years so I wonder what kinks they have to conquer?

14. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

I hope the draw is early in the week. If my name is not pulled there are some other options to explore ASAP. FM

15. imjon

imjon

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ranching+for+wildlife+elk+hunts+in+colorado&t=ffsb&ia=web

Depending on how much hiking, glassing you want for an "authentic" hunt, there is a program in Colorado called Ranching for Wildlife. Ranches get tags they can sell and as I recall even set their own season on their ranch. Never been on one but it might be a bit less strenuous.
    I'd guess almost any guided elk hunt is starting for around $6 grand unless you'll shoot a cow elk. Those are lots cheaper. Going on an African plains safari might be cheaper.
    --------------------
    Screw a horse hunt for elk. Horses suck unless you've ridden horses a lot. I'd have shot mine for dog food if I could have.
    It was in Idaho, which was really steep. Better get those lungs and legs in shape if you want to go there. Don't remember the outfitter but he had to change our area due to wildfires. Didn't get to see elk close up, but we did glass some a mile away. Took a Piper out of Boise to a back country ranch that looked like it was out of Bonanza. Water heater took a dump and bathing was in one of the ice water mountain streams. You can wash up fairly quickly when the water is ice cold.
    27_24.JPG
    This was the only position in the dark where you could see the guides white horse in the morning. If you were second in line you had to trust your horse to know what was where. I think the guide caught up on his sleep on the way out by letting his horse go wherever it wanted.
    --------------------
    New Mexico was nice and enjoyed the whole hunt. Tuffy was a good guide and he has been here at one of the sportsman shows. Went in 2001, saw some elk and my partner shot a cow. No idea of how much he charges now. I'm still amazed at the distances we drove though.
    http://mangasoutfitters.com/index.html

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    brushbuster likes this.