Grunts or bleats?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by throughtheice88, Oct 30, 2020.

1. throughtheice88

throughtheice88

The time of year has come where every single thought in my head is consumed by deer hunting, instead of just almost every thought. Big bucks dogging does, cruising, exposing themselves to wide open spaces in the middle of the day without a care in the world. Ah, the magical first 2 weeks of November is nearly upon us.

Anyway, sitting by the fire tonight, contemplating tomorrow mornings stand options I got to thinking. When it comes to calling, what have you had better luck with. A traditional grunt, or a doe bleat? Whether calling to a buck after spotting it, or blind calling. By bleat I'm mostly thinking the can style that you turn over, but a mouth tube bleat would apply also.

Just curious. Particular scenarios where one seems consistently more effective than the other would be welcome too.

Happy hunting, and shoot straight!

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

For me the can bleat has killed a lot of bucks that were out looking for love. Haven't had much success with the grunt tube

3. Thomas Epple

Thomas Epple

Bleat ...until mid Nov.... then GRUNT

4. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

I’ve had good luck using them both together. 2-3 bleats followed up by 5-6 short grunts and changing direction of the tube after each grunt. Simulates a buck chasing a hot doe. Works for blind calling or if you saw the buck first.

5. Craves

Craves

Can...but I like @Uncle Boopoo 's idea and may give it a try.

Uncle Boopoo and throughtheice88 like this.
  6. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

October 28th I think right there close to that date I’m sitting in a ladder stand on a inside corner of a standing corn field. Right around 6:00 I look East and there’s a white rack heading south threw the neighbors horse pasture. I hit him with one loud grunt from my knight and Hale ez grunter and he slams on the brakes and looks in my direction. 110 yards from me and looking flips his tail and looks away so I hit him with 2 more and he looks again, nope he keeps moving south out of sight. I’m texting my wife telling her I just seen a good one and about 5 minutes later I look up and here’s this white rack coming up the fence row along the corn right to my inside corner. There’s a crab apple tree that they walk under and it’s 32 yards, he doesn’t stop until he is quartering under the tree and there’s just enough room for a full Metal Jacket.
    Flight
    6B556106-B1A2-4B35-A910-FF8A28AA17E3.jpeg

7. SPITFIRE

SPITFIRE

Done very well with this also, some as far as a 100 yards away on a quiet morning.

Uncle Boopoo and throughtheice88 like this.
  8. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Last year hunting a pinch south of known doe bedding (waiting on west winds now to dig into that spot) last full day of a 5 day hunt. 9:30 am and I look right, here comes one but he jumps a downed tree and is heading away from me nose to the ground. He stops and I hit him 2 times when he looks away, now he is looking hard as soon as he looks west I pop off 2 more.
    E69FAD8E-A846-42C9-A367-72F56FE6858A.jpeg
    he turns and heading my direction, as soon as he gets behind a big maple I draw at 15 yards he is quartering to me pretty good but the leg to me is forward when I whistled and I drop the sight pin right there.
    Flight
    0977FEE9-BE5F-4031-9B9C-0BE3861B7E31.jpeg

9. Radar420

Radar420

I do the same when I blind call except I'll sometimes throw in some tending grunts after the 5-6 short grunts.

If I see the buck first I typically just go with some soft short grunts, judge the reaction and go from there. It seems 50/50 whether they'll come in or take off at the sound of the grunt.

10. jatc

jatc

11. noshow

noshow

Combo of both. Snort wheeze has worked well for me as well.

12. Martian

Martian

I TEND TO USE DEKES A LOT IN THE RUT,, ( actually, only during the rut,) and will use the one appropriate to the sex of the deke I am using.

throughtheice88 likes this.
  13. Martian

Martian

hahaha, to cover up a sneeze, I turn it into a snort wheeze

14. Stubee

Stubee

All I do is the grunt tube, just the simple ones like a Primos basic tube and I don’t go crazy unless desperate = last possible chance. It’s worked very well for me. It’s a measured thing depending on where you hunt and your experience there or in similar spots and times. You gotta know that you won’t see responses that you can’t see.

throughtheice88 likes this.
  15. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

Was just talking about this with a new hunter and told him, “it’s easier than calling turkeys but harder to tell if they respond since bucks don’t gobble!”

His response: “be a lot cooler if they did!”