Grumman Sport Boat Questions

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by hunterjon, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:47 PM.

1. hunterjon

hunterjon

I’ve always liked the design of the Grumman Sport Boat but have never been in the position to snag one when I’ve seen them for sale. I recently sold a couple of canoes I haven’t used in years and managed to pick up a Sport Boat for a pretty good price.

I’ve got a couple of spots outside the managed areas as well as some places I hunt out of state where this boat will be really useful, but since I now reside on the east side of the state (moved from Holland last year) I’m curious about using it at Shiawassee, Harsens, etc. What, if any, modifications should I be looking at if I’m planning on checking those areas out this season?

Runners on the bottom would be helpful at some of the other places I hunt as well, so I’m thinking about doing those. I’m assuming a Lewis winch isn’t needed to pull this boat over the dikes at Shiawassee if I have runners and empty some things out beforehand right? Is there anything else I should be looking at while I can’t really travel for work and actually have time to get things done?

2. nelsonjr89

nelsonjr89

I just picked one up last month as well!
    I've been wanting one for the last several years and finally pulled the trigger.
    My plan for this year is just to get runners as well.
    I'm anxious to use this for the 2020 season

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

We have about an 80# canoe. Don't want to drag it on the stones at Shiawassee. We throw the decoy bags out leave the rest of the gear in, grab it and heave it over the dikes.

It's deep fast at those dikes so hopping out and back in can be a trip.

4. Ash

Ash

I dragged a grumman (and before that an old michicraft) with my dad and all our crap (unloaded - two trips) without a winch over the shiawassee dikes for a looong time. Is it doable?, yes, is it fun?, no. We ended up putting runners and a lewis winch on the grumman and its a dream. Also added some lights up front. Butch and Dan Bovin did all the work. Highly recommend.

roger15055 likes this.
  5. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

i just did another grumman this week. for those that are thinking about having them done...don't wait to get them in because we're not doing them at the speed we used to. you bring them in september theres a chance you don't get it done this year. just an FYI.

btw, a sportboat is the best weapon for the managed areas. small but big at the same time. easily stowed few rows back in your cornfield, doesn't destroy corn...small footprint. handles 2 guys a dog pretty easily. I have many, many years hunting out of one.

upload_2020-8-1_10-46-25.png upload_2020-8-1_10-47-6.png upload_2020-8-1_10-48-54.png

Ash and Sampsons_owner like this.
  6. hunterjon

hunterjon

Thanks for the information everyone.

Nelson, what are you planning on running for a motor on yours? I'm currently on the hunt for a 4-6hp 2 stroke. I guess I could always pull the 15hp 2 stroke off my sneakbox if wanted to get there in a hurry haha.

FBD, If I could guarantee that I'd always have a partner at some of the places I hunt where dragging would be helpful, I'd probably do the same thing as you. The Grumman comes in at 110# or so and is pretty easy for 2 folks to carry.

Ash I'm glad to hear it can be done without a winch even if it's not fun. I'm not opposed to spending the money on a winch in the future, but I'd like to see how much I actually end up hunting at Shiawassee before dropping the coin.

SK, I just sent Butch an email a little while ago, if possible I'd be up for dropping it off this coming week to get the work done. You guys put some pods on a boat of mine years ago and they've been fantastic.

7. nelsonjr89

nelsonjr89

I have a 6.5 Honda with a beavertail long tail kit.
    I havent had it in the water yet, but from what I've ready and the previous owner, it will push 2 hunters and a dog fine!
    I swapped the hubs and added bigger trailer tires, re wired the trailer, plan on giving it a fresh paint job.
    Now just have to find time to go up to Butches and put on the runners! [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. Ash

Ash

I recognize that bottom pic there ;) haha We have since painted the winch too!

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.