Growing chestnut trees from seed?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by HVYMTLMEC, Dec 14, 2015.

1. brokentines

brokentines

Why encourage the repopulation of a tree with no blight resistance? Did I miss something?

2. rmw

rmw

That's kinda what I was thinking
    I've been planting the dunstans , Chinese and AU buck
    Is there a American that is blight resistant ?

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

4. da new guy

da new guy

L & O

I believe that you are correct. I believe that the Dunstans are like 95% American crossed with Chinese. Dunstans are blight resistant and they grow higher and straighter than a Chinese. This is just if I remember correctly

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It's nice to know work is being done to replace an American icon. Thanks Allen.

6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Thanks for the replies and I hope you will stop in and give us updates when something new comes up.
    Your thoughts of the FK nursery trees ? Link in post # 7. Most of us are planting chestnuts now to provide food for deer ASAP. It would be even better, of course, to plant a tree that is blight-free and will be a great wood tree in 75 years. However, at this point, I will be happy if I live long enough to see a decent number of chestnuts on my property producing nuts for the wildlife.
    So glad that a group has taken on this project.........thank you. I would like to be placed on a list to get your trees whenever they become available. I did not see any such information. Miss it or is it too soon for a list of people who want trees ?

L & O

7. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

Was able to visit my chinese chestnuts in the NELP at the beginning of June. This winter they weren't frozen back to the ground as has happened before, e.g. last year. For those I'm just pruning back to a dominant leader. After several years of starting trees from seed selected for various attributes (e.g. late dropping, timber form, etc.) I'm coming to the conclusion I'm flirting with the edge of their northern range with them on marginal soils. The seedlings grow great on my place in the Blue Ridge but that's prime range for chestnuts.

8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Similar experience in Montcalm Co. I do not have much to show after buying my first chestnut trees 3 yrs. ago. The 1st summer I raised the trees in pots in the backyard and then planted after Labor Day in 2013. Most have lived so I still believe I will have chestnut trees from the time and effort that I have put into these plants.

L & O

9. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016