close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

grouse numbers again

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by setterpoint, Aug 30, 2017.

1. BassFisher91

BassFisher91

If it's a pointer get yourself a whoa barrel (55 gallon drum works perfect). A 55 gallon drum is cheap. Especially if you're ever up in the area of M-33 north of I-75 at the M-33 warehouse place. Put your dog on it 5 mins every day, I do it twice, once in the morning and once at night. If he moves a leg lift him up, and set him down/drop him down on the barrel all while saying 'whoa'. It has helped my dog tremendously with staying steady. The dog has a hard time keeping balance while on the barrel if he moves his leg. I often times pet his back while lifting his tail and say 'whoa' at the same time. I release him only using the words 'ok Redd' and tap the top of his head when the training is done.

Just an idea. Good luck. Between this training exercise and my dog realizing he's not going to get feathers in his mouth without staying steady he has improved vastly even since the beginning of this season (this is his first season).

Timber likes this.
  2. Timber

Timber

I have a English Setter that I picked a couple of months ago that is pointing to close most of the time and or busting birds before I have time to get there. And I have a 3 year old Lab that imop is awesome.

3. St. Clair Slayer

St. Clair Slayer

Between wind rain and warm weather last weekend I only ran the dog for a few hours in Missaukee and Roscommon counties The dog pointed half dozen or so woodcock and one grouse. She had a few points with no one home that I think may have been spooky grouse that busted before I came along. Just great to be out with the dog. Hopefully we get some cooler weather soon. Grouse sightings for my first outing of the season were lower than last season. But the season is still young.

4. birdhntr

birdhntr

Are you running the dogs together? And is the lab a flusher or PL.How was the dog with pigeons? When training with pigeons or domestic game birds you are in a controlled environment and you know when,where, and what.In the woods you have no idea or the dog about the 3 W's so things have changed to some degree. My technique for training on wilds which is all I do besides a few pen raised birds at an early age and is simple.When the dog bumps,flushes,or points and the bird flushes with dog in pursuit is to bring the dog back to where the bird was and command whoa and hold the dog steady for a minute or two.And repeat every time a bird is mishandled.Don't shoot at birds not pointed.For a young dog you may want to run the dog in less productive ground and burn of some steam before hitting that honey hole you have there.When you do get into them and the dog gets worked up take the dog back out the way you came in where you know there wasn't birds and let the dog settle down and run then go back in.Keep a close eye on the dog and every time you see him catch scent command whoa to help create distance on points.Some folks like to walk in and grab the collar and have another person flush the bird and then walk the dog out of the area.Training on wilds is much different as you can't predict the three W's and that your going to find that many birds and get the pup pumped up.And for the record I am not a pro trainer,just a man who can't stop hunting birds even if it kills me.

5. Botiz

Botiz

I grew up in that exact area. I went to a very small high school but we would have guns in our trucks all the time. That was 2002-2006.

Hell, one of our electives was an "outdoors skills" class and if you signed up for it, one of the things you did was go to the science teachers farm where he taught you how to shoot a gun.

gundogguy likes this.
  6. Timber

Timber

I'm not running the dogs together not ready for that and don't know if i ever would at this point but that's a topic for another day. Lou my Lab is a flusher.
    Betty is my one year old English setter I bought a few months ago, that has been pointing pigeons in a controlled environment with electronic launcher with a pro trainer. Betty is not steady on pigeons, she will point them and crowd them, and has not been allowed to chase them. I plan to continue training with a pro once he is available.
    Betty runs pretty big and its hard to get to her, and place her back where she initially pointed the birds. Im trying to keep her somewhat closer so i can have more control of the situation, without over doing it and making her sticky, she is some what soft it seems, but lots of drive in the wood. I'm trying to figure it all i know it'll take some years, and keep telling myself not to lean on her to hard in her first year, but not make bad habits, I can take the some drive out, but its hard to put it back in if you know what I mean.

7. setterpoint

setterpoint

no grouse today but got in some flight birds young setter did great best shes ever done

Timber and Quig7557 like this.
  8. Frosty1223

Frosty1223

Haven't seen too many in midland county for about 3 years now.... woodcock are almost non existent.... haven't even seen any flying at dusk

9. gundogguy

gundogguy

Grouse numbers again?? So as this thread moves along, are the grouse numbers up or down?
    I'm not interested in your hotspots, just like I would not give up real valued training ideas.
    But are the counties your walking about in producing more or less grouse than expected??

10. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Fewer, but patternable, and consistent.
    Yesterday, I avg'd 5.6 grouse/hr, but quit to train on woodcock.
    It was a rare day. Pre-storm activity.
    Today should be 1/3 of that.
    And wet. :(

gundogguy likes this.
  11. Timber

Timber

More woodcock yesterday, and maybe 3 to 4 flushes per hour on grouse in NW lower. Betty got lots of whoa training yesterday, and pointed her first limit of Woodcock!
    [​IMG]

Jdhunttrapfish and birdhntr like this.
  12. Timber

Timber

I would say as whole less here in NW lower, but I have had some really good days with pockets of 10 bird flushes in an hour.

gundogguy likes this.
  13. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Not that it's easy or anything, but
    Without keeping a flushes, and time on the ground log, it's all just a guess. We want to see a few weeks/season's trend, because birds flock up and disperse again, leading to over inflated/under counted inaccurate opinions. By about 200 hrs on the ground, the trend is clear.

You will have visited enough places where there is a statistical likelihood of finding a representative sample of the local birds to form a solid opinion.

Grouse (and especially migratory woodcock) are here today, gone tomorrow, so you need plenty of field time to really be accurate.

Sometimes, they just want to eat in a different spot. Just like people.

I buy field logs, and sit in the truck for a minute to record stuff while it's still fresh. Then, next winter, I go back through them.

gundogguy and Jdhunttrapfish like this.
  14. oilcan

oilcan

I think they are about the same or a little less than last year, the weather hasn't helped the hunting.

Timber likes this.
  15. Timber

Timber

Back up close to 70s next week.:mad: