close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great Price on 3" Mag Steel Shot

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by John Singer, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Decoy slayer,

I see you are a big advocate of skeet choke and smaller shot. I'm not doubting that combo works well for you. Im guessing the theory behind smaller shot is more pellets for the barn door choke?

I like a tighter pattern. Not for distance since I rarely shoot at birds over 30 yards. I find that when connecting with a bird it's way more lethal. Hardly have any cripples.

2. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

It works for me. When I started, with lead shot, I shot 1 1/4 of 7 1/2 at 1330. Talk about a pattern! It was a wall of lead.

I want to duplicate that "wall" as close as I can.

I am missing more and more as years go on. I going to the eye doctor next week. I am hoping that they will do something about my cataracts. I have a "wave" in my right eye. I sometimes see "multiple birds".

I did shoot a lot more over this past summer and will shoot even more this coming summer, if I can. That is really what we all need more than anything, more range time. I just wish there was a range where I could only shoot "duck shots". Incoming , dropping, shots.

3. John Singer

John Singer

A couple of years ago, I purchased two cases of Rio Blue Steel in 2 3/4", 1 1/8 ox, #2 steel @ 1400 fps. They patterned extremely well for me. The patterns pretty much duplicated some of my best reloads. These reload are known on some reloading sites as the "Holy Grail".

Good luck, I hope the new shells serve you well.

ON ICE likes this.
  4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Let's get one thing straight. I am not "telling" anyone to change and shoot what I shoot. I am only pointing out there are options out there. The most important thing, to increasing hits, and reducing cripples, besides more range time, is decreasing the ranges that we shoot at. It is a really good idea to keeping your shots to under 35 yards.

5. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

thanks just ordered 2 cases. was tired of red empties, I like the blue shells. been shooting #2 1400 fps with modified choke as long as I remember. do not even know where my other chokes are. if I missed close ducks with first shot with nod choke, I get them with next 2 shots when they are farther.:D If I miss them, that is fine too, I do not have to clean them. I really do not want to kill him but that is part of the sport. I wish after I knock them down, they get up and fly away saying good job got me.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  6. buckhunter14

buckhunter14

I suggest everyone to try and pattern Fiocchi's. I patterned them alongside the high-dollar shot shells and outperformed all of them!

Divers Down likes this.
  7. Divers Down

Divers Down

Glad to see good results from aftermarket shells, just hope they don’t jack up prices like the Big names did. Sorry Kent...

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Don't forget our own Michigan ammunition company, Sporting Ammo 2. They have a much "wider" range of shot sizes than the "Big Name" ammo.

https://www.sportingammo2.com/

9. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

Went to their site and it doesn't list prices

10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Maybe their Facebook site does? I deal with them directly when they come to Pointe Mouillee. I can't quote prices since I may be wrong, but they are about the cost of higher end steel shot from the big boys.

11. John Singer

John Singer

Their ammo is high quality.

Their 16 gauge steel out performs any commercial load available.