Great Lake Ice forming

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by Wxman52, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Wxman52

Wxman52

This graphic shows what the Ice situation is and where it's starting to form. I have this daily updated graphic on my weather website along with other Saginaw Bay/Great Lake and area Rivers information. I also have as many area and State webcam views as I could find around the state. I also have a link showing a hourly updated webcam view of Saginaw River. https://wxman19521.wixsite.com/saginawcountyweather
    [​IMG]

2. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Thanks for posting info. Bring on the ice!!

3. piketroller

piketroller

I find the ice thickness forecast/nowcast tool to be more useful than the ice concentration. For example with concentration, if it’s at 50%, then over a hundred square yard area, half would have some ice and half would not. It’s helpful to show where the water is right at 32-33 degrees, but not much more than that. With ice thickness, whenever it’s the next darker color up from the bottom one (white) on the scale, that’s too much ice to break with a boat to get out to open water.

4. No Mas

No Mas

Ice... It’s only good for Vodka. :D

Shoeman likes this.
  5. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Yepper drill/spud your holes there ya go gots plenty of Ice for your Vodka!! Saginaw Bay ice has its own flavor!

6. FivesFull

FivesFull

The NOAA satellite is a great tool during the season to use after big blows and warmups if there is a clear image. Been pretty surprised to see open water where I was fishing the days before on ice that was 15+ inches

IWannaGoFast and Bay BornNRaised like this.
  7. IWannaGoFast

IWannaGoFast

So true! Agree... one of the most imprtant tools to monitor early in the season to see how its setting up and piecing back together after a blow. Really helps for planning early on...

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  8. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Hopefully PARTY MARTY shows up again this year with his fly overs.
    It don't get any better than that..