Featured Great Friend, Great place, Great buck!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by brushbuster, Nov 17, 2020.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

So opening day 2020, weather wise was miserable. I called on a friend a couple weeks ago to see what his plans were for the opener.
    We have been friends now for over 20 years. Our first time doing anything together was on a bow opener. My wife had met a lady that just moved up north with her husband and was trying to establish a friendship with her. She told me about her husband who liked to bow hunt but didn't have a spot to hunt. So I said I would take him. It was arranged and we met on opening day of bow season. I took him to a place where I had a couple stands set up. I dropped him at a stand and I walked off to a nearby stand. I saw a deer feeding with its head down on acorns while presenting a broad side shot. I released an arrow, climbed down and located blood. It was getting close to dark now so I went to get my new buddy to help with the tracking. We tracked the deer, I got turned around,( lost) dragged the buck (small6) which I thought was a doe out to a over grown 2 track, we walked out to the truck got in and started driving down the overgrown two track that my buck which had our bows laying on top of it was on. The ferns were high and we couldn't see in front of us. I thought we were getting close when we felt the bump. We gave each other a bewildered look as the truck quickly stopped. The doors flung open and we stared at the little buck that was under my truck. "Dude you're on my bow man!" And so began our friendship. Over the years we laughed at our first endeavor as we forged a hunting friendship. For 20+ years our bond has been strong.
    So when I called my friend he told me his hunting has sucked and he hasn't killed a deer in a few years and no real plans for the 2020 firearm opener. Unfortunately for my friend he doesn't have a lot of time to scout. He's pretty much a meat hunter and looks forward to filling a freezer. In the past he has introduced some of his friends to some of my haunts. Needless to say I don't share every spot with him. Some spots where I focus on does it doesn't bother me how loose ones lips might be. There are some spots however, I have that I never take a soul. One such spot is a rare gem. It's beauty mesmerizes me everytime I venture in. A stream meanders through a marshy alder choked wetland. Cedars sparsely dot the landscape as small scrubby birch cling to a harsh life here. Access in is limited to just one road while a tangle of vast alders keep the faint of heart at Bay. The deer population is low here but mature bucks find there way in and call it home. IMG_20201111_074103773.jpg My plans for the opener was to take my buddy to a spot right before my trailhead where does feed on acorns in the drier ground, drop him off before I head back into the alders that lead to my spot. Due to the weather forecast for opening day, I asked him if he was up to sitting in a blind with me back in the crap. He agreed to my stipulations of nobody goes in here or I'll castrate and hang the remnants from a stick. On Saturday we go in set up a blind and widen the trail in through the alders. Opening day arrives and as predicted weather was crap. We holed up in the blind all day with a doe first thing in the morning staring at our window. All day the wind, rain and sleet beat against our shelter. We did have a buck bounce by an opening and then vanished.
    IMG_20201115_081812238.jpg
    Monday we planned to go back out to same spot and get elevated. Problem was. All my spots are preset for a saddle or to climb trees with a rope where a few stands are set. My buddy isn't comfortable with those methods and needs a tree for his climber. He showed up to my house a half hour late Monday morning and wasn't all that enthused about the harshness of my spot and not knowing where he would set up his climber. We make out to the blind and I point out a small maple that would accomodate his climber as daylight approached. We get settled finally in the daylight. A brisk wind and a cool morning greeted us in the trees. I could see his orange body from my stand. At 845 I notice him stand and move and see the smoke from his muzzleloader as his shot breaks the silence of the morning. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I read the words" shot a stud shaking like crazy"!
    My spirits were high as we anticipated laying hands on a buck that would be his best over the next 30 minutes. Finally he can't take it any more and climbs down to investigate for blood. I get a text moments later," just a few drops,can't find any more". At that point I rappel down. Suddenly my phones goes off rapidly with a series of texts and I knew he found his prize. Walking up our eyes meet and I see his excitement.
    IMG_20201116_092813398.jpg
    IMG_20201116_094043307_HDR.jpg
    After several hugs, high fives and picture taking we come up with a plan to get the stuff out of the swamp. I suggested we cut the buck in half and would pack the halves out with my pack as he hauls the blind,clothing, and rifles out. Well, he insisted on dragging and I obliged. I get it, it's a beautiful animal. So we pulled and tugged and fell over the blow downs, we make it to the blind exhausted. We still had 3/4 of a mile through The marshy alders to go. He says get your pack and I'll cut him in half. I happily obliged.
    It took us most of the day to get the buck and gear out. What a hunt and one we both will cherish for our remaining life long friendship. It was very rewarding and I was blessed to be a part of it FB_IMG_1605620379526.jpg

2. bigbucks160

bigbucks160

GREAT STORY!!!!!! That's what hunting is all about, family, friends, memories and oh yeah deer!! Congrats to the hunter and you for being a good sportsman!

3. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

What a great story Brushy! Beautiful spot loved the details of your adventure with your buddy. And to cap it off a beautiful buck. Congrats to you guys! Simply fantastic.

4. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Great story and buck, Definitely will remember that one. That is a cool looking spot.

November Sunrise and brushbuster like this.
  5. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

I really like that spot, what great scenery. Congrats to your friend on a great buck.

bigbucks160 and brushbuster like this.
  6. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Great story, BB. Congrats to you and your buddy!

brushbuster likes this.
  7. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

I've showed you my elk hunting spots and you've never invited me! :smile-mad

jeffm, jr28schalm, Dish7 and 7 others like this.
  8. #1wallygator

#1wallygator

Great story and lifetime memories, thanks for sharing.

brushbuster likes this.
  9. old graybeard

old graybeard

Pretty damn awesome!

brushbuster likes this.
  10. brookie1

brookie1

Great story and buck but I want to fish there. Looks like perfect brook trout water.

Vicious Fishous and brushbuster like this.
  11. beer and nuts

beer and nuts

Nice deer. Beauty of a spot.

brushbuster likes this.
  12. Ryfarm48

Ryfarm48

And that is what it is all about!!! Great story

brushbuster likes this.
  13. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

Awesome story and great looking terrain. Almost makes me wish I had friends. :lol:

Dish7 and brushbuster like this.
  14. brushbuster

Yeah there is a lot of nice dams in there. I was floating back in there a couple weeks ago looking for easier access, but too many damn dams. I thought what a great place to fish.

15. brushbuster

yeah, and we were right by there this fall at bow camp too.