Gratiot-Saginaw numbskulls

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by squirreLeigh, Nov 24, 2020.

1. squirreLeigh

squirreLeigh

I had a half-day yesterday and drove up to the GSSGA to see about filling this empty tag burning holes in my pockets.

4:30 came around after a careful 3+ hours of tip-toeing and minding the wind, and after passing on a mature doe (I thought about my empty freezer, believe you me!), I’d got myself well-situated in decent cover in a marsh with loads of fresh sign in front of me and the wind in my face—I was feeling damn optimistic—when I hear yelling, walky-talky bleeps and general mayhem coming my way from a good half-mile off. Some minutes later: two young men stumbling through the brambles and blowing up the entire g.d. forest at waning light! They asked me which way was north...

And so with their walkies in hand (and their rifles on their backs), they proceeded loudly northward through the marsh before an incoming call directed them back the way they came.

Is this typical hunting for this area, or what? Can you even call this hunting? It didn’t strike me as a drive. I live in Jackson County, but also hunt the UP and Wilderness SP. I’ve encountered obnoxiousness in the deer woods before, sure, but these boys were on a whole other level and acted like I was behaving oddly. I might be getting old, but they looked old enough to know better—18-22yo, I’m guessing. Point being, every buck north of M-57 parked their butts in their beds last night after those two rolled through...

Thanks for letting me kvetch.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. sniper

sniper

Can’t teach stupid and it’s frustrating for those of us who catch the aftermath of ignorant others. It’s time and effort you’ll never get back.
    We have a couple hunters multiple times a year walk around together right during prime times mornings and nights right on my property line.
    We guess their always discussing how many deer they didn’t see.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. squirreLeigh

squirreLeigh

Truer words!

4. CDN1

CDN1

You public land guys hats off to ya. I can't do it. I've done it, ...but can't any longer. It's sometimes bad on private land. Sorry the numbskulls ruined your sit.

5. JS714

JS714 Premium Member

I too take my hat off to those that have the patience to hunt public land. I've been blessed with hunting private land pretty much all my life. Years ago, I used to take an afternoon when I could and hunt the Huron National Forest around Lumberman's monument (Monument Road to be exact), since it's only an hour to get there rather than 2 to get to our property. The last time I was there I had a similar experience as the OP and decided that an extra hour on the road to get somewhere undisturbed was far better for my attitude. Sorry about your experience...frustrating to say the least.

TriggerDiscipline and DM90 like this.
  6. Chessieman

Chessieman

This year has my head shaking for St. Clair County in the Port Huron State Game Land. Every other day somebody goes into the unofficial target practice area at Hewitt's gravel pit and starts target practicing at 4:30, shooting off about 50 to 100 rounds. Mind you that this is right in the river valley that a lot of people hunt with no knowledge of what is coming. I can imagine some pissed off hunter that walked back a mile and has been sitting for three hours confronting these guys. This is a confrontation that will happen, not if. This has been every other day this gun season. I know on Thanksgiving night every year for the past 20 years some group goes in there and shoots off a few hundred rounds right till legal shooting time. I figure that it is a group of anti's trying to save some deer from us nasty hunters.

DM90 likes this.
  7. wpmisport

wpmisport

Could be first time hunters during the 2020 pandemic. Probably need a little instruction and some help. Maybe they will come around in the future.

8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

It doesn't matter if you're young or old or if you're an experienced hunter or new.......if it's 50 minutes to dark and you're lost you are not going to care about blowing up someones hunt. You want to find your way back to the parking lot.
    With cell phones and the size of the G-S SGA, probably no one is going to stay lost all night, but these 2 guys needed help. I bet they were glad to see you and were happy for any assistance you were able to give them. You helped 2 hunters yesterday. That's more important than not having an opportunity to fill a tag.

L & O

9. ryan-b

ryan-b

I hunt pretty much only rather remote public land. Ive seen some folks do some pretty remarkable things. Ive also gone as much as adding 30 min in or out to my walk to avoid screwing some one up. However, I will walk right by you if you are to lazy to get off the main trails going in our out of the area I hunt.

10. Waif

Waif

Congrats on the doe opportunity! A good thing as far as hunting goes.

You didn't ask what the heck those two were doing at primetime.
    Yes they were annoying you. But....they could have been after another party member with a deer down , and more excited than considerate.
    Or , like a couple friends once had , a phone call with a bleeding emergency at ones home.

Reads like novices. Or conjures up such an image anyways.
    Public lands see quite a mix. As can private too.

DM90 likes this.
  11. motdean

motdean

WOW! The second week of deer season and you actually encountered another hunter in that area?!?

I literally did not see another hunter after opening day in the section that I hunt. I was the only vehicle parked along the section that I hunt through the 18th. On the 17th, I actually did a slow stalk around the section looking for sign.

...and yes, you will encounter that from time to time out there. However, most of the hunters are 'hang and hunt' hunters...except for Thanksgiving weekend. There is a group that puts on a drive every year. They have lined up in front of other hunters who are sitting a field edge at 50-60 yards.

12. mark.n.chip

mark.n.chip

Maybe Anti-Hunters not wanting to get in trouble for harassment so this is their new method???

DM90 likes this.
  13. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Or martians???

plugger, November Sunrise and DM90 like this.
  14. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

I agree for the most part. I normally hardly see hunters up until opening day of gun season then the craziness for a couple days then back to very few human sightings where I hunt there.
    It's not odd to see 7-10 flashlights opening morning and I walk about 1 mile

DM90 and motdean like this.
  15. june bugger

june bugger

welcome to Marion springs, we call them guys springers