Grandpa's gun.

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by D.mcgill, Dec 24, 2013.

1. D.mcgill

D.mcgill

So here's the story. When my grandpa passed he gave this gun to my cousin who just recently passed away. I acquired the gun, and have been trying to figure what caliber and make it is but have been running into trouble. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Marking include ceskoslovenska zbro jovka a.s Brno and the serial # is 6895 and it is on the barrel and bolt there is also a lion stamp on the barrel I will post some pictures shortly.

2. D.mcgill

D.mcgill

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Need a picture of the whole rifle, but from what I can see it looks like a VZ24. Derived from the Mauser Gewer 98 line, they were made from approx the mid 20's to the mid 40's....... They were made in 8x57 7x57 and 7x53.

4. ESOX

5. D.mcgill

D.mcgill

I almost positive the stock was replaced. and I'm really just trying to figure the caliber so I can find ammo. I just bought 8mm mauser rounds but am not 100% sure if that's it here are more pics

Attached Files:

6. ESOX

Take it to a gunsmith and have him slug the chamber. You will know what it can use for sure.

7. Fabner1

Fabner1

I think Pikie is right but who cares what it is? It is a Mauser type rifle, so find out what caliber and let 'er rip 'tater chip! I bet it will shoot beautiful groups whatever the caliber. Bet it is a 7mm.

Old Fred

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  8. ESOX

Looking at those pics, I am 99% sure it's a sporterized VZ24.

9. Kennybks

Kennybks

If its a 7mm I bet it kicks like a Czech mule! Light gun might as well be a 300 win mag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. Fabner1

Fabner1

Not 7mm Magnum! Just 7mm! I had a friend when I was young who had one and it was one fine shootin' rifle!

Old Fred

11. D.mcgill

D.mcgill

Thank you so much folks! How much does it cost to have a gun slugged? And merry christmas to everyone!

12. jaguarxk120

jaguarxk120

It shouldn't cost that much to drive a lead slug through the barrel and measure it. That will tell you the bore size.

The gunsmith will have to do a chamber cast to determine the actual caliber of the rifle. From the pictures you have posted the rifle looks as if it still hast the original barrel. As others have posted there are only a few choices as to the caliber, 8X57, 7X57, and 7X53.

13. Itchin2fish

Itchin2fish

Mine shoots a 7.9 mm bullet. I'd follow OP's suggestion slug it, measure it, and have fun. Its also a favorite test bed for bench rest shooters, lots of wildcat rounds have be3en tried out on that reliable proven action. Shots straight and well out to 250 yds. with the iron sights. I have seen many of these guns used for various purposes.

I am still eating up the mil surp ammo that I got with it. Pops and I redid about five of them. Some had mismatched bolts, an armorer told us mil did that with many of the weapons that were packed in cosmoline for storage. as long as the bolt fits, and has proper head space, and the right ammo is used should be fun. As long as your not on the receiving end

14. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

It is a WWII Czech VZ24 military rifle made at the BRNO Works and if it is the original barrel it is 8mm Mauser. All the best...
    Gil

IAmLegend likes this.
  15. D.mcgill

D.mcgill