close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS Way Points

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Blue, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Blue

Blue

I have a question regarding about when you delete a way point. I have a Garmin handheld GPS. If I delete a way point does that open up that way point for adding another way point to that slot. For example: On my GPS, I have way points number 001-100. If I delete way point 57. When I add the next way point, does it become the new way point 57 or does it go to 101? Thanks for any responses.

2. Kennybks

Kennybks

Without knowing you're specific model it's a bit tough to be certain, but in general, all GPS units work pretty similar in respects to waypoint storing, naming and reuse.

As you mentioned, way points 001-100, if 67 is deleted, it then should be available for next assignment.

Most have considerably more capacity than 100 these days with large SD cards.

Delorme is one I'm more familiar with, the PN series you can preclude a name such as camp, hotspot, and each one will have numeric assignment appended automatically 001.. 002, etc.

Some units have 5000 waypoint capacities.

Hope this helps.

3. Blue

Blue

4. greelhappy

greelhappy

I would think that if you have waypoint space on your GPS, your new waypoint would go to the next number after your last entry. (79 to 80). I would just punch in a new waypoint and see where it lands. No expert, just my thoughts.

Scout 2 likes this.
  5. Scout 2

Scout 2

I have a garmin and when I delete one way point it moves the list up in that slot but the waypoint number does not change. The new one goes to the bottom of the list. Example 001, 002,003 points saved. i delete 002 the list will say 001,003. But I don not know how to get back fill in that missing slot