Got a Colville Centerpin Reel for Chrimmis

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by flowie, Dec 30, 2019.

1. JM White

JM White

I actually just used my buddies skein cane last weekend and loved it. It is almost a perfect compromise to the heavier and faster action redline and the lighter slower action clarus. I didn't hook up to any fish with it but I feel it has the power to land big steelhead and salmon while not being too stiff. I feel like the clarus may be a little to light for salmon in a decent current...I think they are around the same price but in my opinion, after having fished both, I prefer the skein cane for an all around centerpin rod. It has more backbone than the clarus and seems very well built for the price. I hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. flowie

flowie

Thanks...I still havent pulled the trigger on a purchase yet. Bit I have tried a Redline and a Skein Cane and a Clarus all with my reel om them. The Skein Cane i think is a pretty good choice for steelhead and would proba ly be okay for cohos and medium sized Kings-- I dont know how well it would handle a fresh silver 30 lb male King. Seems like bringing a bb gun to a bazooka fight.

I have been working on my casting regularly- I can cast.about 35 feet with my 10ft 6. Accuracy is still pretty bad- but I can chuck it out there. I have had 3 fish on, and landed a small jack.

Thanks for all the replies. Hope everyones having some good winter fishing.

3. flowie

flowie

I got out today and practiced a bit...I actually got 5 fish on....landed 2. Im getting better at casting....setting the hook and fighting I need to work on quite a bit.
    My new skein cane arrives friday.
    Hope everyone is having some luck. Thanks for all the replies.
    20200126_101957.jpg image_photo0_1580072990072.jpg

kingfisher72, anticipation and Steve like this.
  4. outdooraddict

outdooraddict

Where did you pick up the reel? My son is looking to pick one up. We are heading out today fishing and thought about getting a pin to fish with later today. My son’s birthday and we were heading somewhere to get him into a couple. Thanks

5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

If you are headed to the Muskegon, check out Muskegon River Fly Shop in Newaygo, they have a few CP reels and rods to look at and handle.

6. flowie

flowie

It was a christmas gift.

7. flowie

flowie

Update...I ordered the skein cane- but got denied. I even called Bloodrun- the guy was nice but said they were going to be out til June. I asked if he knew of a place he might have shipped some where they might still have one and he said no. Its a shame because it would be a great rod to pair with the reel, guess Ill have to wait awhile.

Hope everyones been doing well fishing. SW Michigan has been pretty good to me the last couple weeks.

8. flowie

flowie

So I bought this

https://www.fullmoonoutfitters.com/...terpin-rod-13-light-action-4-pc-carbon-fiber/

I did some research and looked at a ton of photos. Near as I can tell this is essentially a Bloodrun Skein cane without the Blood Run logo. I believe the rod eyes might be different, but the cork is exactly the same. It seems well built, stuff like the guide wrap and epoxy are as nice as any factory rod I have purchased.It casts great, but have yet to get a big fish on. After I get a few fish on it, I'll post a little review.
    For 89.00 its seems like its ok
    The guy shipped it fast...it is advertised as on special with a set of fishing gloves...mine arrived with a balaclava and one of those stretchy light cloth things saltwater guys wear over their face instead. Which is fine by me, I have at least 5 sets of gloves.

9. flowie

flowie

Ok, I have landed about a dozen fish and had several more on the Lunar series rod I bouh.

For an entry level rod I think I did pretty well for what I paid, I like it and it handles well.

antlerhunter likes this.