Got a Colville Centerpin Reel for Chrimmis

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by flowie, Dec 30, 2019.

1. flowie

flowie

So far nothing yet. I went to a tackle store in SW Michigan this week just to try a couple rods out. They had a Lamiglass Closer and a Redline , both of which seemed a bit heavy to me. I tried an Okuma, a shimano 13ct Clarus. I would like to try a Blood run skein cane but no one carries them arpund here. So far nothing has jumped out at me as the rod that really feels great in terms of casting.
    This will sound stupid but the cheapy Shimano Clarus felt the best in my hand.
    Ill look around another week or so...theres a place closer to Lake Michigan that stocks centerpin rods...maybe ill make a little road trip and go shop there.

on a call and flyrodder46 like this.
  2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

My second rod was a Clarus, bought it as a backup, and used it for several years before I sold it. Should have hung onto it, liked the 4 pc. for transport and storage. Although it is a sliding ring that may be a help for you in deciding where you like the reel seat on a fixed seat rod. That was one of the reasons that I bought mine. For less than $100 it might be a good way to go to start, and then move up to a Nova 1562 later.

Clum likes this.

3. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Flowie > I was in the same dilemma looking high & low for a cp rod not to long ago. Went with Nova 11.6 paired with a Colville Paragon 545. Very well balanced light rod!!! I like that rod so much that I’ll be buying another Nova 13’ soon. Throughout all my research, and now owning a one > IMO the Nova rod is best money spent!

FISHDOCTOR likes this.
  4. Clum

Clum

Clarus is a sleeper bargain. I had a raven 3 piece I couldnt deal with breaking it down anymore, I hated it. Went with the 4 pc Clarus. It's now my king rod mainly, but keep it rigged with beads and lighter leaders when its steelhead season. I use an 11ft avid as my main steelhead rod.

5. flowie

flowie

I may start with a clarus and move up like you suggested. I could unload it pretty easy around here- and my son is 13. If he takes to centerpinning he could inherit it when I invest in a Nova or something else.
    Its a tough time to buy...I just spent on Christmas, the dog got cancer in his foot, and had to have a toe amputated and the fridge decided that since it was out of warranty--- it would quit running. :mad:
    I would probably be better off taking an old tent pole and duct taping some rod eyes to it at this point. I would use one of the long ones with the shock cord in the middle of course..;)

flyrodder46 and wyandot like this.
  6. nighttime

nighttime

It can be deceiving with just rod in hand without reel to balance.

GrandGuru likes this.
  7. flowie

flowie

Ive been taking the reel with me.

GrandGuru and flyrodder46 like this.
  8. anticipation

anticipation

What reel did you end up getting?

9. wyandot

wyandot

NOTHING at all wrong with that Clarus. Granted, there's better rods available, but so what? Getting on the fish with a cheap rod beats the tar out of working weekends to fund a Loomis.

10. flowie

flowie

I
    I got an American Glory/ Colville Escape 5.0

I never understood the Loomis thing. I bought a Loomis rod for bass fishing years ago...it was nice but not 500 dollars nice.

11. FISHDOCTOR

FISHDOCTOR

Dave @ Nova Tackle is a Great guy to deal with. If he doesn't have what you want he will custom make it for you. Dave makes all my Salmon and Walleye rods for me great rods and customer service. I am having him make me a 11'6" 6 to 12 lb rating Centerpin rod now and waiting to get my hands on it and try it out. Also you might want to check out the grip options that he has he is the only one i know of that offer the Winn Grips for rods and if you ask me they are the best out there. All the rods that Dave makes for me have the Winn Grips on them. He also has Carbon Fiber and Cork handles to choose from.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  12. BUGBOAT

BUGBOAT

I recently built a bass rod for my GF with Winn Grips. I love them. Recently build a new Steelhead float rod and thought about the Winn Grips. Went with Burl Cork instead. How are the Winn Grips holding up over time? I heard they start to peel after a while.

Attached Files:

13. FISHDOCTOR

FISHDOCTOR

That cork looks really nice good job on that build. I have had The Winn Grips for 2 years now and have not had a problem with them yet. Dave from Nova Tackle has been using them a lot longer than i have maybe he can chime in on this topic.

14. Sparky23

Sparky23

We have bloodruns at the outdoorsman proshop in jenison

15. Chrome-circus

Chrome-circus

I started out with a Clarus last two falls ago. I love it for steelhead. The Clarus can basically bend from tip to butt in a battle. Now for salmon, the Clarus is underpowered in my opinion. This fall, I had a few double digit hookup days skein fishing and never landed more than one fish. The Clarus would start making noises during the battle. Regularly, I was worried it would break. I was gifted with a Lamiglas Centerspin 12', 6-15lb rod for christmas. I have wrangled in 3 steelhead with it so far, and let me tell you, it has backbone. I like it so far; it seems like a quality stick, and I cant wait for salmon season. I will stand a much better chance in battle this year. I am a believer in starting out with the Clarus, gaining some experience, and upgrading as addiction progresses. Man, I'm not going to lie, I am jealous of your Collville reel, very high quality piece of equipment. Tight lines and goodluck in your rod selection