Got a Colville Centerpin Reel for Chrimmis

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by flowie, Dec 30, 2019.

1. flowie

flowie

Long story short, I have been fishing with spinning gear and baitcasters for 20 yrs. spinner and spoons, bottom bouncing, plunking, float fishing basically any method.

Wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I sent her a link to a Colville centerpin, thinking she would just buy me slippers and be done with it.

So I got the pin..I put it on a 10ft 6 float rod just to practice my casting until I could buy something more suitable.

I like Lamiglas...and I see they make the Redline Centerspin. I did a search here and couldnt find much feedback on it. Is it good?

Bloodrun makes a Skein Cane...which is cheaper in price, but I get the impression it is pretty soft and limber.

Anyone have thoughts about these two rods in terms of quality, but also how they would be for a novice casting? I spent about 4 hours on the river Sunday....lets just say at this point I am not much of a threat to fish or other fishermen. I think I managed to make 6 casts I could actually get a decent drift on.
    I fish mostly medium to bigger water, mostly wading or on shore, but occasionally from a boat and rarely with trees in the way.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  2. anticipation

anticipation

I have 2 Bloodrun rods one older I believe it’s an rx8 blank and a newer one that is a Bloodrun blank very happy with both of them .havent used the one your looking at but you might consider taking a look at nova rods probably a good place to start . Never fished a lamiglass so can’t help there either

Sparky23 and FISHDOCTOR like this.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Since you normally wade larger rivers I would look for a rod in the 12-13' size with a med-fast tip action. As a personal preference I like either a 2 pc. or 4 pc. rod, I have a couple of 3 pc. rods and they can be hard to get the handle on to break down for carrying. A rod in the 6-10# is a good starting point rod for the larger Michigan rivers, a lot of people like the 4-8# rods but I like the 6-10# rods better myself.
    As anticipation said above check out the Nova Rods, most are built on the Batson blanks which I like, and the price is reasonable for a very good rod. Any of Dave's rods would compliment that new Danny Colville reel. https://novatacklecompany.com/
    I have never fished either of the rods you mentioned, but as you said, have heard they are pretty soft on the action and think that a little stiffer rod would be easier to learn with.

Sparky23 likes this.
  4. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

The Redline is a little heavy action wise , but can double as a salmon rod. They have sliding rings , but I prefer a fixed reel seat. I own 2 of the Lamiglas Closers in the 12’ 6-12, and the 13’ 6-10, and love them both, I also have a Batson Rainshadow rx7-rx8 blend 6-10 which is also a very nice stick. As mentioned above, Nova Custom Tackle has some nice rods at a very reasonable price point.

FISHDOCTOR likes this.
  5. wyandot

wyandot

I will agree with the guys above, take a look at the 13' 2-piece that Nova Tackle sells.

FISHDOCTOR likes this.
  6. flowie

flowie

Thanks for the responses...Ill have a look at the Nova rods.

I would love a Lamiglas Closer but would have a hard time with the price. Actually I would be fine with the price...someone else would go ballistic at the price

Anyone else have ideas in the 200-300 price range?

hard head likes this.
  7. anticipation

anticipation

A phone call to Danny Colville at Colville outfitters might be worth a shot . No telling what he has laying around and is always willing to work with you to get the best you can afford

8. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

716958D4-70D9-467B-8682-F043CBF6727D.png
    2E077B89-A1AC-443A-8078-CA4681E9750F.png

9. JM White

JM White

I have a 12' redline 6-15 lb and I will admit it is a little heavy for just steelhead. I got it to use in larger tribs and as a salmon rod which it works perfect for. No real complaints with the redline plus I got it for $150 brand new! I also have a 13ft blood run iridia superlite as my main rod and could not be happier with it. It is very light, durable and well made. Holds up to big fish well but has enough flexibility to use with smaller leaders and fish. I know Danny Coleville recommends these rods and always has a few at his shop. I think they are around $400-$500 though. Take a look at them on blood run website or give danny a call he is the man! Good luck on your search and I hope you enjoy centerpinning!!!!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. flowie

flowie

I looked at iridia. Its outside the budget but a real nice rod from the looks of it. I was a little leary of the reel seat. Not experienced enough to know if I prefer rings or a fixed position yet.

11. NovaTackle

NovaTackle

If you have any questions about any of our rods, feel free to send me an e-mail at [email protected]. If there is something you are looking for and is not on the site, we may have it or can build it for you. We are a Michigan Company and stand behind what we sell.

anticipation, TK81, flowie and 2 others like this.
  12. flowie

flowie

Will do....and thank you!

13. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

A St. Croix Avid, 13’ ML 6-10lb is another option. They run around $280 I believe.

14. Cat Power

Cat Power

Those Novas look good.

JM White likes this.
  15. nighttime

nighttime

What pin style/ name did you end up with?