close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Goose hunting at Shiawassee or even Fish Point

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Far Beyond Driven, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Does any one specifically target geese at either place? I know both kill 1000 each year, but it seems that most are taken incidentally to duck hunting.

Worked one at Fish Point but even though he wanted to die my neighbors decided they needed to shoot at yet another 70 yard mallard, and I know the scramble zone does not appear to be the goose killing field it once was.

However, I was struck by the ease that we killed geese at Shiawassee. A couple floaters to the side of a mallard spread and some light calling and I was killing them doa with my 20. Fennville is massive spreads and tower of power calling, and MWW is just, well, those geese are brutal and will pick about the best set up after opening day is over.

Hence I wondered 1) would it be worth it to set a more favorable to goose spread and 2) do ducks work as well to a floating goose spread as they do to a field goose spread?

2. craigrh13

craigrh13

I chalk that up to no spinners. Geese work very easily at Shi. In fact 3x we killed geese with no goose decoys and shot them at 15 yards. Once without even calling. There were other times I had shots at geese but didn’t feel like shooting them. I would think that if one targeted geese in the right zones you could clean up on them at Shi at least.

We’ve shot a good amount of geese at Fp over the years as well. All were shot feet down right at the water. One time it was a group of 20-25 birds in zone 10. That was a few years back though. Each time we had no spinners out.

3. stacemo

stacemo

I hunted FP ten years solid from 77-87. Geese were always incidental except for the first 3 days or so. We used to hunt opening day beyond the north field parking lot. This was before Phrags. The road at the north field used to go out to the bay. And it was, and is, the edge of the scramble 40s. Opening day this area could have 30 hunters hiding in the cattails. Willow blinds. We had a permanent blind on a point there. The geese come out in waves all morning. The weed creeps would limit out first. Then the willow blinds and then us. It was insane. Flock after flock would get decimated there. We would maybe get 10 geese the first week. Then maybe 3 the rest of the season. The usual issue. Fish Point is tight. Any goose comes into the field, someone is going to shoot at it. Before the 70's existed as a managed area it was a great second refuge for geese and ducks. Hunting 68/69 would give good opportunities for geese at that time. Now, with 70's being managed it should be good for ducks and geese.

4. Highball28

Highball28

I would think if you had a dozen duck decoys seperated from a bunch of goose floaters the ducks really wouldn’t care that much at shi. Fish point has the spinners and much wearier geese but at shi in the right zone you could probably clean up. Ducks might decoy even better. It’s a lot different spread than what they’re used to seeing.

I’d say it’s worth a try and could be an adventure and a new challenge at the very least... much like targeting mergs with the sleds!

5. John Singer

John Singer

Fish Point
    In 2011, I drew an opening morning permit for Fish Point. At that time, water levels on the Bay were very low and not many zones had water. I scouted the day before and noted that there were many geese using the dry fields behind the check station. We drew poorly that morning and selected zone #10 that was dry. We have very few shooting opportunities in the early morning and only bagged 2 mallards. We pulled spinners and at about 8:00 or so, the geese started working the field. Four of us ended up limiting with 2 geese each in about 45 minutes. What was really cool is that guys in the surrounding zones quit calling and let me work the birds.

In 2013, a couple of friends and I took our sons to Fish Point for the youth duck hunt. Water was higher then and we drew zone #29. We decided to stay until noon and in doing so, we outlasted all the fathers teaching young Luke Skyblaster to target birds in the next galaxy.
    I was able to work in one flock of 6 Canadas that we let land on the water at about 25 yards from the blind. We told the kids to each pick out a bird and then rise up and shoot it. At the initial volley, only one goose was hit. The remaining 5 birds then took into the wind toward the blind. They were hovering in front of the kids at less than 25 yards. It was an amazing sight. The three boys emptied their guns and not a single goose was hit. However several new duck decoys started sinking and my mojo and mojo pole was raked from water line to the tips of the wings.

This year, I hunted with three guys in zone 10. On 2 or 3 occasions, I was able to call small flights of geese. However, those guys who like to shoot at ducks at 70 yards tend to shoot at geese at 100 or more yards. They spooked every flight that was working toward our decoys.

Shiawassee
    My oldest daughter drew opening afternoon permits at Shiawassee four (~2002-2005) years straight. On at least 2 of those hunts, we bagged geese at close range over our decoys.

This season, I hunted one time at Shiawassee for a morning hunt. Two of us shot 9 puddle ducks and 5 Canadas. It is much easier to work geese at Shiawassee than at Fish Point.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  6. John Singer

John Singer

Shiawassee Ducks and Geese from October 2017

Shiawassee Ducks and Geese 2017.jpg

7. jwinks

jwinks

I think it’s a great idea, the odds of killing geese, even at fish point, are comparable to the odds of killing geese at Todd farm, as I recall. I think in particular setting a big spread of silos in the shallow end of one of the fields before it’s full pool would crush the ducks and you would maybe kill geese.

Highball28 likes this.
  8. population control

population control

I imagine it has to do with numbers of geese also. Fish point has birds but I don’t believe it holds the number Shiawasse does.