Goodbye German village

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Sprytle, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Sprytle

Sprytle Premium Member

today was the final day in buisness for German Village in Standale!!
    Today was free food and drinks.
    78 years in buisness and one of only 3 buildings standing in the F5 50's Tornado. ( the other 2 were bars also!!:D:D)

Many nights & dollars spent there!!!!!!

Thank you Wally & Ruth!!!!

auf Wiedersehen German Village!!!!

Bottoms Up!!!!!!!!!

-Bob:)

2. bigsid

bigsid

You know, that just sucks! I'd been in there a few times and always had a good time. I used to hang out at the Wedgewood in Grandville and when they shut that down in '96, it was like losing an old friend. (Even though I had only hung out there for a couple of years!:lol: ) It had been there since 1926 I believe.

I hate seeing the old family businesses shut down, but I guess I'm getting used to it by now.:mad:

Sid

3. Corona

Corona

Oh it's closed now! I can see it from my front porch, I really liked their food, RIP GV...

4. dcclubs

dcclubs

I have no idea where I will eat on Friday nights now. Had the best perch & fries special around. Let me know where the next best place to eat is near Standale.

dc

5. severus

severus

Wow, that's bad news. That place had been there forever. What are they going to do with the property?

6. Sib

Sib

It's sad to see the old GR local places close and get replaced by places like Applebee's. Snitzelbank, Duba's, I even miss Fables. :lol: As a side note, I did have a couple pieces of taco pizza from Village Inn (44th st) yesterday. :corkysm55

7. Hamilton Reef

Hamilton Reef Guest

I went past the place Monday and noticed the thank you sign. I also remember the way the area looked after the tornados of 1956. It can be sad when time marches on, but reality prevails.

8. dcclubs

dcclubs

I understand that there will be a WalMart going in on the corner. The Big Boy next door is going to get razed as well. Hard to believe that our little burg of a community is getting developed. A lot of this has to do with GVSU/Allendale to GVSU/downtown corridor.

dc

9. Sprytle

Sprytle Premium Member

I have heard Wal-Mart for a while, hope not , belive it when i see it i guess. Have also heard Home Depot..just what we need ANOTHER damn home improvement store!:rolleyes:
    I also heard of a O'Charlies resturant/sports bar going in somewhere right there???

10. waterfoul

waterfoul

Funny thing about the German Village... not much in the way of German fare on the menu... or at the tap. Strange....

And I've also been told by two seperate sources that a Walmart will be going on that corner.

11. Corona

Corona

O'Charrlies was supposed to go up in the area Meijer is at but they didn't go through with it. Now has anyone heard what they are going to do with Ralphs grocery store? It's a darn eye sore. They need to tear that down ASAP. :rant: