Good Plot Report Card

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Luv2hunteup, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It was a tough year for many food plotters this year but not for all.

How did your plotting season go? Did they work as planned?

Wild Thing and jparks02 like this.
  2. Waif

Waif

L.o.l..
    Still don't know what grew in my usual attractant plot. It's not the clover that was planned though. I should preserve some of it...
    And so little of whatever it is grew near the edges or beyond (where spin broadcasting could have reached), to make wondering what it is even more...

First try with brassies worked. Too small an area is all.
    Rye did not excel.

3. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

4. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

My corn field was the best corn in the township... My rye is awesome. Brassicas were a bust. Kind of normative with brassicas here so. A good year overall..

5. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Mine is great but without irrigation it would have been toast with the mini drought in the area .

6. My best planting season/results since i started this plotting in plainfield sand journey some 20yrs ago. What i have learned from those here, those here who have sadly left us way too earlier and my stubborn never get discouraged attitude is paying off. Sad i will be selling the property to start all over again(but in a little better sand lol). On the good side new owner (whoever that is) will be left in great shape turn key hunt/plant ready. good luck

7. LTH

LTH

Brassicas could be better, the lack of rain stunted the growth and the deer mowed it down. Next year will be better with increased acreage. Overall, with this being the first year of brassicas and 2nd year of food plots I give it a solid B grade.

8. Bucman

Bucman

Ill give it a B, drought slowed the progress but it came in nicely. The drill I purchased saved the day. Having the seed roots down in the ground was a game changer during the drought. Clovers were hit or miss due to top seeding and drought.
    Plots consist of ww/oats/and crimson clover EDEDBFDA-A280-4F9C-8F73-701A317FAE89.jpeg

9. grapestomper

grapestomper

My clover was very good. I will be planting more clover over brassicas.
    I used the most weed killer this year that i ever have and the weeds were tough on me with all the rain. The deer are fat and sassy still this year with the plots.
    Tons of acorns as well, so it is a good year.

10. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Mine were a bust. Turkeys wiped out my seed on the first plant. Second plant we didn't get rain that was called for and some how pig weed took over. Planted rye a few weeks ago and it is growing, but with standing corn next door I don't think it will get touched. Next year.

Wild Thing likes this.
  11. 28hotshot

28hotshot

My plots turned out awesome but is seems like they like the neighbors corn and carrot piles around me. 2 deer so far this year and both had corn in their belly and they didn't come from the ag fields. Seems there should be plenty of food well into winter. The screen seems to have shrunk quite a bit and a few areas have fallen down. We will see how it holds up

Wild Thing likes this.
  12. Dantana

Dantana

My brassicas turned out great but did not plant nearly enough of them. Two of the three brassica plots are nearly gone. The third is holding up well.

I attempted to establish clover in multiple newly created travel corridors but I suspect the drought got me. Overseeded with rye and will frost seed more clover in the spring. My existing clover plot looks great and has been a hotbed of activity since August.

The rest of the plots are in rye/wheat/oats. They look decent considering most of these plots are brand new this year. Not a ton of browsing which is pretty standard with grains on my property. They definitely prefer brassicas over grains.

Overall, solid B+. Nothing to do about the drought. Next year will increase brassicas by 50%. Crimson clover, which has been a hit with the deer, will be added to more mixes.

Wild Thing likes this.
  13. shell waster

shell waster

Not bad...getting flooded now

14. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Best plots I've ever had in sandy soil. But first year using efence.. 20201023_121922.jpg

15. motdean

motdean

Somehow that isn't the picture of a plant that I envisioned you posting. ;)

Rainman68, vsmorgantown, Waif and 2 others like this.