Good Luck to everyone

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Dead Bird, Sep 14, 2020.

1. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Good luck to you.

My plans have been pretty screwed up by covid. Was supposed to have a buddy up to my dads place for a 4 day hunt. Wife has covid so i am forced to quarantine. Not going to use my dads cabin or be around friends now.

Might make a day trip by myself and the dog Saturday or Sunday.

2. Worm Dunker

Worm Dunker

Wish the wife well

DirtySteve likes this.

3. birdhntr

birdhntr

Yesterday we stopped on the way up and ran some land in Oscoda.We found a couple woodcock.Penny handled it perfect and I took it.
    We also moved 5 grouse.Penny made a 65 yard find and when i came in and attempted to flush she moved on.I should have said whoa but she has been messing around pointing chipmunk and I try not to make a mistake and encourage her on the chips.Then she bumped a grouse.
    Then we headed north.
    Then I spotted this deer
    20201002_154205.jpg

The rain wouldn't stop then finally it let up around 530 so we hit one of my honeyholes40acres.It was fast and furious with a point in seconds from the truck.Had a nice point where I walked in and could see the grouse but missed.Then it seemed as if Dixie was bumping birds and I had a little talk with her.We crossed to the other side of the trail and she locked up again.We soon realized that she was pointing but the birds were in trees lol.
    We kept coming to her and birds kept flying from above lol.We had some points with woodcock and grouse together.The garmin says we walked 1.5 miles on twenty acres lol.
    At the end she was sticking woodcock like mad but it was past shooting time.
    Then Dixie stuck again and after a flush attempt she creeped 50 yards and stuck again over and over.The last one I came in and flushed a mature grouse and swear I knocked it down as well as my buddy.We searched forever as the light faded but she kept finding woodcock over and over.
    It was insane.We never found it and went to the truck and stood there watching woodcock buzz like bee's above.
    On the way out they was 4 that landedst in the trail in front of the truck.The garmin says we walked 1.5 miles on twenty acres lol.Constant action.Good memories!!!
    20201002_203015.jpg buddy popped a nice bird.
    Pictures are shaded.I think a dog hair or dew was on it. 20201002_203055.jpg

4. birdhntr

birdhntr

Well the rest of the weekend didn't go so well.I did however manage a limit of poplar trees.lol.I did however bench Dixie after friday who is my ace dog.
    Saturday we ran the pup in the mornings and I tried new ground looking to avoid the briars and woodcock areas.First long walk turned up a grouse and a woodcock and the pup was running great.Second trail we discovered a new grouse spot but didn't get birds pointed.Then we dropped in on the honeyhole and put Annie down for her first run.She had a stop to flush on the first then I believe that she bumped two so I reeled her in told her bad as she smiled and wiggled at me.I told her whoa and set for a bit then picked her up and set her back.She then stood well on a few grouse and woodcock but I failed to get it done except well the poplar trees lol.She did well so I was happy with the last hunt of the day.We did walk moms and penny stood a known grouse hangout in wet weather.I walked all around and she stayed for minutes to no avail.I went back to her and gave her a tap and she ran like never before but never turned up a bird.hmmm.

5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I went up late in the afternoon saturday after making sure the wife was taken care of for the day. Lots of people everywhere. My best woodcock cover had nobody in it. Stopped there first. It had definately been hunted that day. One solid point and i missed terribly. We cross the road and circle around another area when a woodcock swoops down and lands at my feet staring at me. I can hear my dog running in opposite direction of where this bird came from. Then all of a sudden a really young white english setter pops out of the brush. The bird flushes i miss. Then I hear the dogs collar buzzing and the owner calling. I step out on the trail and their is a guy standing there. I wave he turns and walks down trail never acknowledging me. I turn around to look at my vehicle....he parked like 30 yds from me.

I went to many places most had hunters. Found a couple places to slide in. Ended up hunting 2.5 hrs. 10 woodcock flushes 4 grouse flushes and one woodcock harvested. This was my worst day of the season but still not bad. I missed 2 really easy shots at woodcock and 1 decent chance at a grouse.

6. birdhntr

birdhntr

Wow! I have only seen one bird hunter this year in nine days.

7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I had seen 2 up until yesterday and i hunted every day the first 6 days if season. . I actually thought the pressure had been fairly light. The two guys I saw were guys i see every year. There is a big group from ohio that i run into all the time because one of them owns a cabin in the area. I have yet to see them.

Saturday was a different story. More bow hunters than i have seen in 10 yrs. Saw lots of newbie grouse hunters. Which is a great thing really.

8. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Yesterday was good weather. First hour and a half was what looked like a good area and my second trip there this fall but nothing produced. Done there for the year. Second hour and a half produced two grouse and a woodcock at a new spot. Getting there. Took my old dog to a cover 40 minutes away that gets pressure. Flushed four grouse and 8 woodcock in 2 hours. Three woodcock were over one point. 75 yard point and she held several minutes and then held until the last one flushed.
    Weather matters. Went to the same spot about noon the next day late due to a rainy night. Flushed a total of 2 woodcock for the first two hours. Then the sun peaked and I flushed 4 grouse in the next half hour but still under pines.

Waiting for the leaves to drop. I'm yet to get a visible shot on any bird. Then again that rarely happens when the leaves drop.

9. Stand By

Stand By

Well, got Gibby out this afternoon for a bit after work. It's been a long, dry (figuritively) opener for the two of us. We saw a couple birds last week, bit daddy wasn't on his game. First spot was real thick along a river and didn't see grouse or woody's. Drove deeper in to some higher ground, mix of sparse, but mature red pines with hardwoods mixed in. Ferns were still mostly standing. Was seeing a lot of acorns. Made a wide circle around the truck with nothing pushed. Moved further down the trial and similar terrain but closer to water. Was hoping for a woody, if no grouse. Coming down a hill under some wide open red pines and she put up a bird. A little quick on the trigger as I shot over him anticipating him coming up to my line, but he stayed low. The shot got Gibby excited and she found it's scent trail. I called her back thinking I'd circle around, rather than keep pushing alone and him flushing out of range next time. We did circle into a little lower area and Gibby put one up that went almost straight away. I got up quick, slowed myself and popped him just as another went up and crossed left. I swung and popped him as Gibby was trying to track the first. The second was close to the swamp, so I called her off to it's scent and she found it pinning it. Come to find out, she's no soft mouth like my last retriever was. She chomped down to finish it. Still praised the snot out of her since this was our first kill as a team. I took her back to track the first bird, I kept driving her to the right, to where I thought it went and she kept wanting to go left. I went back to where I shot from and noticed she was more correct, so I started a slow pace pushing over weeds behind her. She did go past it, but following her, I walked right up on it hunkered down tight against a down 4" pine under the ferns. I'm pretty sure one of the two was that first one I missed. Either way, her first kills, double flush, double splash. She knew before when the gun went bang, she smelled birds, so she did excited when the fun, smelly, stick came out with is. Now she likely has a sense of what's going on.
    https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/media/img_2020100

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/media/img_20201004_174321215.123717/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  10. birdhntr

birdhntr

Nice! Now that's something to read.Thanks for sharing the experience!!!

Stand By likes this.
  11. Stand By

Stand By

[​IMG]
    Thanks birdhntr. Trouble getting the pictures to cooperate, though. New phone isn't playing nicely. Also, coming out, right by the previous spot I parked I saw a group flying out of the woods not far from where we walked, land in the road in front of me, then go back where he came from as the truck came at him. Makes me wonder if we didn't go by him and Gibby was sniffing the deer or other animals instead, since she wasn't broke yet. She's just a little thing, like your new pup, but we'll make each other happy.

birdhntr likes this.
  12. Stand By

Stand By

13. birdhntr

birdhntr

14. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Went to one of those areas with only a little good cover but hopefully lots of food. Flushed 3 grouse in an hour all out of trees. I guess well fed birds roost early. Still gotta give the old girl credit though because she was sniffing ground scent under the trees when 2 of them flush.

Got my first chance to pull the trigger on a bird i could pretty much still see tonight and straight away too. Naturally then my barrel selector was in between barrels so it didn't go off safe and nothing happened when I fired. Catch and release hunting is quite fulfilling.

T Baker and Stand By like this.
  15. birdhntr

birdhntr

Message from a friend deer hunting;
    Actually I've been jumping a lot of them in big timber oak trees with lots of cover lots of acorns on the ground .

Acorns are key.No dog and jumpin birds

DirtySteve and Dead Bird like this.