Good Luck to everyone

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Dead Bird, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mods

OK... Truck is loaded and two more meetings and I am out of here... going north so I am hoping the rain knocked down some of the cover....

I am a little nervous because where I though I would birds notta and where I was just looking for some woodcock I bumped into some grouse....

Unlike down here my cover spots are up to a 30 minute drive apart.... if I get out early enough I may hit some spots on the way up...

Good luck to everyone this weekend and I will post an update when I get back Tuesday...

shaffe48b likes this.
  2. birdhntr

birdhntr

I like to go after grouse around 930.They need to come down from the roost preen their feathers,get grit,and water if it's dry then they go eat.
    Then after that they hang in thicker cover sometimes.The birds had acorns in them so it is possible that they are in the hardwoods or the edges.They are hard to get near on the oak flats where I'm at.Those birds don't come back to cover until mid afternoon at that spot .Closer to sunset they are closer to roosting cover around the clear cuts.Cedar,pine thickets along the edges of clearcuts.
    As food sources change and they need to work harder to find it hunting gets better and they need to search and feed longer.Grouse don't need to go far for food in the early season.

shaffe48b likes this.

3. birdhntr

birdhntr

Good luck it is going to be a great weekend.I can feel it!

4. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Yeah on weekdays some claim I'm supposed to be online working by 930. Maybe on the weekends I found a spot.last night running into oak trees but didn't see many acorns. The oak trees around my cabin dropped a good number so some are out there.

5. sportsman98

sportsman98

Hoping this weekend brings some good luck my way. Dog has been doing awesome but the birds haven't been cooperating. 20200929_182753.jpeg

jashroomer and shaffe48b like this.
  6. jrose

jrose

Ohio guy here, and I have a question. Back some 30 years ago when I was in college (and Ohio had grouse), I would squirrel hunt early and then grouse hunt back to the truck. My tactic back then was to listen to them drumming and take note of the location and try to flush them. I usually got them to flush and every once in a while I actually connected! Does anybody hunt/locate grouse this way?

shaffe48b likes this.
  7. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Sure.

Myself, I don’t hunt the young males that are dispersing and are out drumming for the first time.

It’s the daylight, and the general territoriality of male grouse, that makes them set up a drumming log at this time of the year. Sort of a way to pick up chicks.

jrose and shaffe48b like this.
  8. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I though also the established males would drum to warn of the dispersing birds lookibg for their new territory.

9. birdhntr

birdhntr

I haven't heard one grouse drum the last 6 days I spent afield and the days training preseason now that I think of it.

10. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

It's supposed to be in Sept so we're late. I never hear grouse drum. When I went out this spring on my own drumming survey all I saw was grouse and no drumming. Damm

11. skidoojc

skidoojc

They have been ordered to wear masks and not drum by the CDC.

NbyNW, Stand By, ab5228 and 2 others like this.
  12. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

Mature birds will drum this time of year to tell other males to stay the hell away, as well as youngins claiming territory. I started hearing fall drummers last weekend, which normally coincides with the fall shuffle. Makes sense since there are so many young broods around that they are breaking up later. Last year i heard drumming before the season even started. Also i did not find many big broods and the young birds i killed were more developed i.e. earlier shuffle.

I don't generally pursue fall drummers.
    Drummers are generally very alert and watchful so it is hard to get close to them, it is a low percentage game. Besides, for every drummer you hear there are probably 5 or 6 more birds in the vicinity that are a lot easier to kill. They are however a good indicator of suitable habitat and worth noting for an area to check out.

NbyNW, DirtySteve and skidoojc like this.
  13. Zeboy

Zeboy

I just get the feeling that a lot of grouse must have gotten a failing grade in "grouse school".

14. birdhntr

birdhntr

I may be wrong but most grouse are homeschooled!

DirtySteve likes this.
  15. birdhntr

birdhntr

Heading out now and will be on the ground in two hours at my first spot.Going to be a good weekend.I can feel it.Good luck all!

skidoojc likes this.