Good books

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Andy K, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Andy K

Andy K

I'm looking to get started trapping. I know absolutely nothing about it other then what I've been reading in some of your posts. I would like to get some books or DVD's so I can really study up on the sport. I live in berrien county and dont know anyone who traps so I dont have anyone to give me hands on training so i really ne some good reading material.

Thanks,

Andy K

2. steelhead1

steelhead1

Land Sets and Trapping Techniques by Charles Dobbins is an excellent book.

3. mhodnettjr

mhodnettjr

I agree about the land sets and trapping techniques and i also like all of the russ carmen books.

mike

4. uptracker

uptracker

Canines 2000, Trapline 2000, Beaver 2000, etc.......all by Hal Sullivan.....books and DVD's!

5. Andy K

Andy K

Great thanks a bunch guys. Now where do you get your books? I just did some searches on barnes and nobles and could'nt come up with any of those but did find some on trapping.

6. Andy K

Andy K

Nevermind guys just had to hit up google. I found a bunch of DVD from Sullivan and Dobbins. My GF is gonna love these Saturday night flix. LOL

7. Joe R.

Joe R.

Look at the top of the page when you enter this forum. Click on the banner for [email protected] Trading Post. They will have everything you need, and quite a large selection as well.

Joe

8. Dave Lyons

Dave Lyons

Sorry going to hijack this for a second.

But Trophy were have you seen this on the trapping forum????? I would like to know please do tell.

I have meet and even fished with a few members here on the trapping forum and even trapped with one or two. YEah we all know each other here and it has been a blast watching some of these guys really take off and run with trapping.

And now to add to the post. If you want a book the only book needed in my opinion is "Hoof Beats of a Wolfer" and "Longlining Fox a Decade Later"

Dave

9. 1-CHANCE

1-CHANCE

I have bought quite a few things from Gander Mt. Books and DVDs. I think a good one is NTA Trapping handbook. It is aimed more towards younger people but has a lot of information. Also check out your local libraries. I found at least 4 books that I have that didn't cost me anything but the price of gas. Check out more than 1 library as they may have different books.

10. mhodnettjr

mhodnettjr

I did the same thing...until i left it in my truck for 210 days ..then it cost 21.00 at .10 / day:chillin:

11. David G Duncan

David G Duncan Mod Premium Member

Andy K,

Welcome to trapping!

If I only had one place to go to get good information on trapping, it would be to subscribe to the " The Trapper & Predator Caller" publication.

It is a monthly publication that is litterly jam packed with information on trapping.

Good Luck on your Trapline!

12. Ross Brown

Ross Brown

Andy,
    Go to Trapperman.com, Archives are full of great info and links will hook you
    up with lots of sites. This internet provides years of trial & error info in seconds.Great for a new trapper. Good Luck.
    Brownie

13. aquaticsanonymous

aquaticsanonymous

I am new to trapping, but Trapping North American Furbearers had alot of info in it.

14. elvis

elvis Guest

just a quick question about these books, i wont have time to just read, but things with pictures and descriptions could be doable while watching a game or race or w/e

what are most of these books like, wordy or pictures w/ descriptions?

15. uptracker

uptracker

A little of both Elvis, but the words have the good descriptions in it.