Going To The 'Hood Friday, Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Polkahero, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Polkahero

Polkahero

I'm going to check out a vehicle on the east side of Detroit on Friday. I know from going to Harpo's years ago this is a really bad area of town. Was hoping the seller would be able to meet me at a public place but said vehicle isn't in good running condition so I have to meet at his house. Bringing my cousin who has a background in law enforcement but doesn't have a CPL. Said he might bring a shotgun and keep it in the truck, lol.

Any tips before I travel to the Devil's Lair?

vsmorgantown likes this.
  2. BILC

BILC

Look at a different vehicle in a good neighborhood. Is your life worth trying to save a thousand bucks? Go with your gut feeling. If you are apprehensive then you shouldn’t go.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

3. Fishndude

Fishndude

I worked in downtown Detroit until covid hit. I didn't frequent the east side of Detroit at ALL. It is the worst part of the city for crime, in general. Probably shouldn't roll in wearing a MAGA hat, and sportin a Rebel Flag on the truck. Cops might side with the shooters if you do that.

Petronius likes this.
  4. Polkahero

Polkahero

I'll wear my Lions hat, lol.

vsmorgantown and Fishndude like this.
  5. Do yourself a favor and find another vehicle. Let’s not read about you in the local news headlines.

sweet lou, Jimbos, 6Speed and 8 others like this.
  6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

How much is the guy paying you to show up? It’s much better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Show up locked and loaded if this deal is worth risking your life.

7. Waif

Waif

Tip one is the usual.
    Never lean into a left hook.
    Or in your case , the wrong hood.

8. Jasperman

Jasperman

yeah, take lots of cash with you. What could go wrong?

(really - don't do it!)

9. Zofchak

Zofchak

Is it a random seller off Craigslist? Do a Google image search of the photos in the listing to make sure they didn't just yank them from somewhere else. Then have the seller send you a picture of the title and see if the name and addresses match up. If they won't do that, then skip it. Detroit's a hole, but there's still far more good people than bad. That said, you don't need a CPL to carry, just to carry concealed.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    tincanary likes this.
  10. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Are you white? If so, everyone will think you are crazy and leave you alone.

But I get it....must be a rare car that you must have. I am guessing it is something like this car....

[​IMG]

perchjerker and eggfly like this.
  11. wannabapro

wannabapro

If the whistles don’t go “whoo whooo!” then you got to bounce out and keep it real fo’ sho’, you know what I sayin’?

12. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

Why the hell would you consider buying a vehicle in a neighborhood you are afraid to go into?

13. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

Drive by the house and a quick trip around the block to check things out first. Stay in your vehicle and call the guy making sure he is actually there. Make the vehicle you want to buy is in plain view. If anything gives you the willies, makes you wish you stayed home, or you want to cry out for Mama, get the hell out of there.

The north-east area of the city is in the 48205 ZIP code, know as "4820-Die". Part of that ZIP code area is known as "The Red Zone" due to the gangs in the area.

Not trying to scare you or anything.
    Article from April, 2018.

The Red Zone: Inside Detroit's deadly gang wars

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...18/04/22/detroit-gang-war-red-zone/432776002/

14. trucker3573

trucker3573

Exactly why buy a vehicle in a hole neighborhood to begin with. You can be assured it was never cared for and as far as a POS goes would be the biggest POS you could get on the POS scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snortwheeze likes this.
  15. R.J.M.

R.J.M.

If the guys name is corn pop you may reconsider. He’s a bad dude !!!

vsmorgantown, LushLife and TK81 like this.