GM Electric Hummer

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by wpmisport, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Then it would be reduced to 85hp

jiggin is livin likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Only if you are around an 800 volt charger.

Better idea would be wireless induction charging. Hell, we can't even fix the roads now.

3. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

You're on the right track, Eventually, 99% of the population will live in urban areas for a more efficient distribution of government services and no need for vehicle ownership. I feel sorry for my kids' kids.

Most I've ever paid for a vehicle is 18K. $80,000 for a vehicle.....not for me.

Far Beyond Driven and Lake Boy like this.
  4. piketroller

piketroller

Let’s do some quick math on putting into context the electrical power needed to run an 800V, 350kW charger. A typical house with 100 amp service at 120V has a continuous power rating of 12kW. It would take 30 houses with 100 amp service boxes all hooked together to supply 350kW before you factor in the losses for stepping up the voltage to 800V.

Now let’s look at the cost to charge. Using an estimate of $0.15 per kW-hr, 10 minutes at 350kW is $8.75 for a maximum range of 100 miles, but that is reduced to 60-80 miles in the winter with the heater blasting or the summer with the AC cranked. So call it 80 miles actual range. $8.75/80 miles = $0.11 per mile energy use cost.

A full sized pickup truck with a V8 engine or turbocharged V6 engine can get 20 mpg. Gasoline is around $2.00 per gallon. 80 miles would burn 4 gallons for a cost of $8.00 or $0.10 per mile. Right now gas is a cheaper fuel. If gas goes up to $3.00 per gallon, you are looking at $0.15 per mile energy cost.

Using this higher gas price, the electric is $0.04 per mile cheaper. The difference between the $112k “starting” price and a fully loaded conventional truck at $70k is $42k. To make up this difference, the break even mileage number is 1,050,000. How many think the average electric Hummer customer wants to drive one for a million miles, assuming the vehicle could last that long?

5. M.Schmitz87

M.Schmitz87 Premium Member

I don't think that the average electric hummer customer buys a $100k vehicle to save on cost of gas in the first place.

However, thanks for putting it in perspective. I had no idea what's involved to charge an E vehicle.

anagranite, Petronius and PerchPatrol like this.
  6. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

In any emerging market you need early adopters to jump in.
    I am looking at 20,000 kilowatt Solar system For my place. It will cost about $25,000 installed. It will meet : All of my electrical needs, All of my driving needs (if I had an E. car), And about 5 months of the year, a small amount of cash would be generated by the system.
    But there was the time when a 20,000 kw system was $100,000. Now, I expect the price to continually decline until it costs 10-15,000 dollars. Obviously big power companies and their investors really don't want people jumping into this emerging market.
    E cars Are the future not for performance, but for transportation. Every manufacturer is jumping into it the price is dropping. It's just a matter of time.

In high performance hybrids electric motors are already accepted.

7. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

It will have less losses - because you won't stepping down to 110V (actually 220) and then back up. Standard distro voltages are largely 4kV (7.2kV is common in rural areas).

Under current EV pricing plans from Consumers and DTE - could be as low as $0.11 and as high as $0.24 depending on plan and time of charging.

Average residential rate in Michigan is $0.14

The alternative to a Hummer EV isn't a fully loaded conventional truck. Totally different markets.

This is luxury SUV and Supercar territory.

How many think the average electric Hummer customer cares at all about breaking even?

M.Schmitz87 likes this.
  8. tincanary

tincanary

You'll see them parked under the pricing sign at every gas station, much like the H2, Escalade, Hellcat, Trackhawk, and Wrangler. Counter jockey status symbols. Hell, the guy at the gas station around the corner from me parks his Wrangler under the sign and it's always spotlessly clean. I was in there once in my filthy ass Wrangler and asked him if his ever saw dirt. Nope.

DanSS26, TK81 and pescadero like this.
  9. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Counter Jockey...LOL

For all the hours those guys put in, dealing with the unwashed masses... Good for them!

M.Schmitz87 likes this.
  10. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Ain't that the truth.

Liking gas under $2.

11. piketroller

piketroller

Thanks for reinforcing most of my points.

Really fast charging rates are not intended for residential applications unless someone shells out a lot of coin to the power company to put in a high voltage line. I used to live across the street from a farmer who paid $1.5M to run a new service line so he could install some bigger grain dryers in his bins.

Others were comparing pricing of this thing to fully loaded conventional pickups. This thing is not going to complete with those vehicles but rather other luxury toys designed to stand out from the crowd to tell everyone just how much extra money someone has to spend on four wheeled toys. Lots of other car companies play in this niche so it’s nothing new.

Ultimately some people will buy one of these because they want to, not because it fills any specific need.

12. piketroller

piketroller

Every manufacturer is jumping into the EV game because they have to in order to meet fuel economy regulations worldwide. This push right now is stronger than the market demand for EVs. Market demand needs to catch up soon to the volumes automakers are required to sell in the next couple years or we will see a lot of carnage in the auto industry.

13. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

That is a SIGNIFICANT difference in power capacity.

Higher voltage feeds at ~4kV exist within a block or so of every urban/suburban location right now. The step down to 220 is happening within a few houses.

14. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I'll let you know the first time I see a new Hummer:

1) back in a boat at the launch in one try, with its head lights off

2) off road, and I'm not talking where I take my Jeep, but hunting spots I access via a Ford Focus

15. piketroller

piketroller

Thanks for continuing to reinforce my comments about higher voltage not being available at houses today without have to pay the power company to install them.