Global Warming and Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by wpmisport, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Johnnydeerhunt

Johnnydeerhunt

Yes, more data and more reliable data are better. Sometimes you have to make the best conclusion that you can at the time instead of suspending judgment for half a century.

2. piketroller

piketroller

I fully agree. It’s about drawing the best conclusion we can and being honest about it. It’s not about modeling 10 scenarios where the press leads with the most extreme one that even the scientists say is unlikely in the study itself and then trot out the tired scientific consensus argument that everything is settled and don’t ask questions.

fisheater and brewster like this.

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I am posting science. The "hurricane drought", in the US mainland, took place. It's a fact.

There have been huge storms, in North America, since that world's "map" has looked like it does now. As long as we remain in these relative positions, there will be storms, some will be massive. The severity of the storm seasons will wax and wane as they have done through out history.

The "few year" drought, was the longest in North America in 150 years.

Just as we are still in an "Ice Age", just an interglacial period, the glaciers could return, OR, we could become ice free. Both have happened in the past.

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I prefers george carlins theory of earth. Maybe the earth wanted climate change and that is the entire reason we exist?

When he said it he was refering to plastic in the 70's....not climate change. I believe at the time the hot button issue was that earth would never survive plastic.

5. fishmark

fishmark Premium Member

George was ahead of his time. Everything we buy to eat has plastic in it...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-eat-thousands-of-bits-of-plastic-every-year/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...s-spread-throughout-deep-sea-monterey-canyon/

6. brewster

brewster Premium Member

Where can I find the list of the 97% of climatologists that say it's settled science?

I'd settle for the 97% that have consensus.

LuckyBucks likes this.
  7. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Don't worry about consensus. Read the science and understand it.

8. wpmisport

wpmisport

Tropical Storm Eta formed Saturday night in the Caribbean Sea and is expected to reach hurricane strength by the time it strikes the Central American coast.

Eta is the 28th named storm of the season, a record-breaking number that has forced forecasters to resort for the first time to the seventh letter of the Greek alphabet to give it a name. Although 2005 produced an equal number of storms, one of these had been discovered in post-season analysis and so had not been given a name. Additionally, 2005′s Tropical Storm Zeta formed on Dec. 26, almost four weeks after that hurricane season’s conclusion.

9. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

What's the big deal of counting the numbers of hurricanes?? I guess it's something to talk about.
    Weather is cyclical, always has and always will. We don't live long enough to understand long term weather cycles. I always remember a National Geographic article where somewhere in Europe they were investigating the loss of glaciers and, lo and behold, they found the remains of 300-500 year old dwellings. How did they get there?? Hard winter, Great Lakes freeze, higher water levels. I have lived through at least 3 high/low water levels in the bay and river. Man can influence weather changes to a small degree but the natural earth cycle is the dominant control.

DanSS26 and fisheater like this.
  10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

As have I, and none of them have even come close to the extremes on the Great Lakes as they have seen the past past 10K years or so, which is a blink of an eye in geo-time.

Gordon Casey likes this.