Global Warming and Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by wpmisport, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Randall Stevens

Randall Stevens

What climate fund can I donate to so that doesn’t happen again? Can they just tax me more?

the earth will be uninhabitable unless I give more money to someone, for something, they’ll let me know when they figure it out, I hope.

Lake Boy, vsmorgantown, BILC and 4 others like this.
  2. Johnnydeerhunt

Johnnydeerhunt

All very true. I guess we then just have to figure out if the increased number of storms counted is a result of better measurement, or a shift in the number of storms to be observed. Really intelligent people who dedicate their lives to the issue seem to indicate that global climate change is linked to hurricane activity. I guess I don't have enough evidence to dispute them, so I accept it going forward as of now.

3. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

I assume you're talking about the 1808 mystery eruption that took place somewhere between Indonesia and Tonga, and was about the same size as the Krakatoa eruption.

It was discovered in the 1990s, and 5-6 years ago there were some actual historical records found from 1808 that record a large stratospheric aerosol veil.

JimP likes this.
  4. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

The earth has been uninhabitable by humans for the majority of its existence.

tincanary, jrose and Gordon Casey like this.
  5. piketroller

piketroller

What it means is comparing what happened in the last 40-50 years to what happens in the next 40-50 years will be a much more accurate assessment comparing today back to official records from the Civil War era.

6. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

We have no really good hurricane data prior of the sort you're talking about until around 1900.

...but when it comes to sizing and counting hurricanes that made landfall, we have a number of proxies that allow it to happen.

So while we don't know how frequent hurricanes were prior to 1900, we DO have data on how frequently hurricanes made landfall going back a lot further than that.

7. piketroller

piketroller

You are parroting things I mentioned in my first post that was itself made in response to another sharing statistic back to 1851. My second comment about the last 40-50 years is about more generic atmospheric phenomena and not major hurricanes that have made landfall.

8. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

While I agree that the error bounds on total number of hurricanes in the past were much larger (in fact, potentially close to infinite) - the error bounds on number of hurricanes striking land (and their size and wind speeds) while larger are NOT much larger.

Basically - I disagree with the assertion that all pre-modern hurricane measurements are broadly inaccurate. Some are, some are not. We CAN judge whether there has been an increase in the number of hurricanes hitting land.

...just like we CAN measure average temperatures from before humans even existed.

9. piketroller

piketroller

You make a very large projection from my analogy that older records are fuzzy compared to modern by putting the words “all pre-modern hurricane measurements are broadly inaccurate” into my mouth when I said no such thing. You are trying to win a different argument in which only you are participating.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    vsmorgantown, LuckyBucks and bjacobs like this.
  10. jrose

jrose

I'm still waiting on the "Global cooling" that was predicted back in the 70's. Wonder how we bought our way out of that one?

11. wpmisport

wpmisport

Viruses like C-19, Hurricanes, and Global Warming affect the entire planet and not just a few countries or the politics of a certain nation.

12. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

1) More hurricanes are happening (originally posited)
    2) Our data isn't very good regarding hurricanes pre-1945 (your reply)
    3) We can know that more hurricanes are hitting land - our data is good enough to know that. (Me)

Our old data is fuzzy compared to modern data. It is not so fuzzy that we can't determine relatively accurate hurricane landfall frequency.

13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Go back a bit further. 170 years is FAR too short a time frame when dealing with climate.

brewster likes this.
  14. Johnnydeerhunt

Johnnydeerhunt

I was just commenting on the article posted. You seem to just be grabbing selective articles detailing selective arguments that support your position. Right before this you were posting about a few year drought.