Gliss Monotex?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by flyrodder46, Nov 15, 2017.

1. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Has anyone tried this line? A friend has put it on his BC float setup, and really likes it so far. It is not a braid, but more along the line of Nanofil. Here is what was said about the line from a couple of reviews that I found.

many of the same properties as mono in that it features a single strand construction, is super pliable, casts very well, and it floats, yet it still has many of the advantages of braid as well, including zero stretch, extremely thin diameters, and incredible strength

“I caught fish with Gliss that I could not have caught with other line,” says Roumbanis. "The softness of the line produces superior castability resulting in increased distance I can’t get with braid. The zero stretch of Gliss produces strike sensitivity not achievable in mono or fluorocarbon and with the incredible strength to diameter ratio Gliss is quiet and manageable at strength levels close to braid ... I am convinced this is a competitive advantage for me until the other pros switch to Gliss."

D

2. shrek527

shrek527

Bait shop tried to talk my buddy and I into trying it when we were looking for braid. Buddy tried it for walleye jigging. The stuff frayed way too quick. Only lasted one outing for him. Seeing that made up my mind

flyrodder46 likes this.

3. -Axiom-

-Axiom- Premium Member

I tried it in 8lb, it was way too thin a got a lot of wind knots.

flyrodder46 likes this.
  4. ramjet

ramjet

I fished with Gliss (12 lb I think) on one of my spinning reels during a couple month trip out West this summer. IMO-- The reviews above are correct, but don't tell the whole story. Shrek and Axiom fill in most of the blanks.

I noted all the pros mentioned as well as the shredding over rocks and knots, which I occasionally had to cut out. There were a few times I had to cut a mess out of the middle of the line and tie it back together. The stuff is so thin that those knots went through the guides OK, but I still wound up changing out the line after a month or so of fishing it.

A couple other thoughts and experiences. It's really thin, which CAN be nice, but it's SO thin it can get into places that mono wouldn't go. One of those is where the wire of my spinning real bail goes into another metal part. It would sometimes wedge in there. It was a little less sensitive to wind than other lines (thinner) but the wind could lead to worse problems (tangling). The stuff I was using could cut you when you cinched up your knots. It's also so limp that for the same ammount of line twist, it's more apt to wind up getting "wind knots". I found I needed to babysit it a little, using swivels where I generally wouldn't and letting it hang in the current for awhile after fishing to untwist a bit.

All in all, I will keep it on the one trout spinning reel I have it on now (actually changed line on that reel once on the trip which I never do). I can say there are a few fish I caught only because I could cast so far.

I also pin. From the experiences I had with it, I would never use it on my pin reels. If I wanted braid on a pin, I'd go with Power Pro instead. (I use Suffix mono though).

That was a little disorganized, but I hope it helps...

flyrodder46 and -Axiom- like this.
  5. fishman210

fishman210

Not a fan. I used 35lb this salmon season for 2 fish, then re spooled with Power Pro Quattro. Quattro is the Best non-mono line I have found. To me, Gliss has absolutely no abrasion resistance.

6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Thanks guys for all the comments, doesn't sound like it is the best line out there. Will have to see what my buddy thinks of it after a couple of outings. He bought 4 spools of it in 18#/6#dia. and offered me a spool to try on my baitcaster, I think I will pass and stick to my Suffix.

D