glad they won...........but

Discussion in 'Detroit Tigers' started by greelhappy, May 4, 2018.

1. greelhappy

greelhappy

That was a beautiful bunt laid down to score the winning run regardless how it came about. Ausmus might have said, "i didn't know we could do that". But I looked at the video often and determined that had the ball been picked up cleanly, the play at the plate would have ended up an out. Just an observation, not fact. But it is still better than having the next three batters swinging at pitches 3' outside the strike zone.

2. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Raise your hand if you thought the Tigers would ever see 2nd place this season, even in May? Seems like they were predicted to be 29 or 30 in all of MLB this season.
    In know, they still have time to achieve that!

The injuries suck though, but I do like the team we have. Although we still suffer from the same low scores and pitching woes of past teams.....trying to stay positive,

GO TIGERS!!!

jimbo likes this.

3. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Gotta love the way these kids are playing baseball this year. I’ve enjoyed watching them much more than the past several years.

Tonight’s game has to be the best of the year and there’s already been several other good ones. The come back tonight was fun to watch.

2 games out of first in mid May, whooda thunk it?

Can they sweep Cleveland tomorrow afternoon?

If it’s possible Cleveland’s bullpen is much wise than Detroit has been. Even Miller is a bum right now.

Corey K likes this.
  4. growninmi

growninmi

Watching the MudHens play vs pro teams doesn't excite me.
    29 other teams in the league and 19 have a better record. Blah!

But by all means enjoy the games, but they are a big part of the mediocre sports city Detroit has become.

sureshot006 likes this.
  5. jimbo

jimbo

it was a great game. I do like some of these young guys.
    Candy & martin being out is going to hurt. Zimmerman being out aint helping either.
    as far as miggy being out, not sure if I care anymore,
    And Vmart, please, if you cant at least tap the ball down an empty 3rd base line line, stay on the bench.

6. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Pretty much the attitude of all the fair weather fans that post on MS.

7. Oldgrandman

The DL isn't just or veterans anymore! I hope Jacoby Jones doesn't end up on it. Crazy who is out right now on injury, I really hope Jacoby is just out for today!
    But seriously, Miggy getting back in the line up should get more runs - RBI's. No way that is a bad thing.

And Victor? Well he is the 3rd RBI guy on the team so maybe he should be put out to pasture. Nick is first on the team RBI list and Miggy second (both have been sidelined for a spell) then Victor third as the only one not injured to my recollection, but even if he was. They should just bench their 3rd highest batter in RBI's I suppose.....

8. growninmi

growninmi

Far from it.. put them in any other division in the league and they would be in battle for last not first.
    How can anyone be happy with a team that has such a hard time playing .500 ball?

Is having some young guys playing well promising? It might be, but when it's all you have going for you, it's gonna be a while before you contend for anything.
    Miggy is one of my all time favs..when he started in Florida, I was already a fan of the guy. Sadly, his best days are behind him as much as they shouldn't be based on age, but there's more to it than just him getting older. Is he still a star and gonna put up fair numbers, probably.. however it won't be numbers he had during his triple crown or the years surrounding it. Unfortunately, that decline of output is gonna be missed and the star is no longer a star..and management can't do anything to get some of his production back via another player, let alone replace it.
    By all means call me fair-weather, but the truth is I'm not getting wood over a pig in lipstick. I have a wee bit of common sense and I'll call it as I see it, as did you.

Last year during spring training I had predicted they would be lucky to get to 75 wins..said number would be more like 70..I overestimated then.
    I don't think this season is gonna be much different.

9. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

If you like baseball you watch baseball. I have no problem watching minor league ball if it's good play and a close game. I probably watched 40 college games in Florida this winter and had a good time at every one of them.

25 of the Tigers 41 games so far this year have been decided by 1 or 2 runs. There's been several where they came back and won games and a couple walk off wins. I don't need to watch high paid ego driven baseball players to make a game fun to watch. These kids on the Tigers may not be here in three years, but they're here now and have the chance they all sought of becoming a MLB player and they're all busting there a$$'S to make it happen.

Because the Central is down right now doesn't mean they will be by seasons end, there's still 140 games to play. An AL Central team has been in the WS 3 of the past 4 years, that ain't bad baseball. Anything can and does happen in the playoffs.

There's only one winner every year in baseball. Does that mean all the fans of the other 29 teams shouldn't watch their home team because they're not the number one team?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    kingfisher 11 likes this.
  10. jimbo

jimbo

so you agree, great.
    Wait, I'm detecting a little sarcasm there?
    shouldnt your DH, batting where he does in the lineup, have the most chances for RBI's?
    what's he hitting? .226?
    I liked him a few yrs ago, but now he's not much faster than he was when his ankle was messed up. and this thing with hitting into the shift, drives me nuts. I don't care who it is

11. Oldgrandman

At least he is getting the RBI's! Yes I do agree he is not who he once was, hitting .300+ from both sides of the plate and you could count on him to hit the ball well enough to get on base more often. He doesn't have a .300 OBP but is real close and like you said he cannot run.

I'd say he should be shelved if they had a better option but what they gonna do with a $15 million dollar guy getting some RBI's? Be nice if he got his groove back. I actually had hopes he would retire for health reasons after that heart trouble, guess the money is better not to retire.

At least they don't have the worse record in MLB like was predicted!!

jimbo likes this.
  12. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Is it really the young guys producing? The 3 oldest position players on the team have a combined 64 RBIs and they are the top 3 producers at the plate.....even though they have been in and out of the lineup.

The pitchers with the most wins are Fiers, Liarano and Zimmerman with 4, 3 and 2....they are the 3 oldest on the team all above 31 years old. The young guys Fulmer, Boyd, Norris and Farmer have a combined 3 wins.

If we had last years starting lineup and pitchers we would have a commanding lead in this division. The comedy central is ridiculously awful this year.....not 1 team is above .500. We have played alot of games against the worst teams outside the central division too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

I didn't say anything about the young guys outproducing the old guys. What they are outproducing the old guys with is enthusiasm and that's affecting the play on the field of everyone on the team, including the old guys.

The Central is bad this year to this point and has probably been the worst in baseball for a number of years, but the division has produced the past several years in the playoffs and that's all the really matters. As it stands right now it appears there will be no team from the Central in the WS, but one never knows.

14. Oldgrandman

Yeah, with Cleveland barely hanging onto .500 and in 1st place last I checked, that's gotta help the Tiger's chances! But the competition is going to be tough if they do miraculously land a spot in the post season. Probably no way the Central will figure in a wild card race, but it's May...

Been more fun watching this season, these young guys are making it so. Be nice to get everyone back in the lineup though.....

15. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Definitely have been more fun to watch. So far, Gardenhire has earned his keep and appears to be an excellent choice to get the most out of this team.

Wonder if they'll be buyers at the trade deadline if they are still hanging in there? :lol:

Oldgrandman likes this.