Gills?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by sang, May 3, 2018.

1. sang

sang

Anyone know when gills go on beds? I’m pretty new to fishing and wanted to take my lil brother out to fish some gills

Musket and J Sibert like this.
  2. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

3. doughman

doughman

You can start finding the prespawn males now thru the next couple weeks. Usually the 3rd weekend of May thru 2nd weekend of June you will find your best opportunities to catch them. I am catching them in 9 ft of water about half down in water column. All males

4. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

My son and I were out yesterday and we got a dozen decent keepers. There wasn't anything on the gravel yet. All our fish came in deep water on slip bobbers.

Musket likes this.
  5. Bill Fred Bear

Bill Fred Bear

Got these guys last evening on small lake in Traverse City area. Not through the ice in case you were wondering. Hip waders. Most caught the last half hour before dark. What a change in weather!

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      94.6 KB
      Views:
  6. sang

sang

Went out today for about 2 hours at Kent lake in Milford was super windy got about 6 keepers hoping it’ll pick up within the next couple weeks

RyanHuntsEverything likes this.
  7. Scout 2

Scout 2

Try right on the drop off on sunny days. Gills like to sun themselves just under the surface. Flyrod or bubble with a fly can work very well

bobberbill likes this.
  8. Crappie1

Crappie1

WE FOUND SOME IN THE SHALLOWS, CAUGHT 4, AND THEN THE RAIN AND WIND CAME UP AND WE HAD TO QUIT.

9. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

Ole Fred ya got on em again, good looking fish! I am really kicking myself for selling my boat and stuck looking for an upgrade. It won’t stop me though, I’ll pull in some of TCs finest jumbo gills soon

10. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Fished Big Bradford today. Could not get a bite. Marked what I'm guessing were Gills in 25 FOW about 10 feet down. Tried hunks of crawlers, wax worms and assorted plastics and every jig I had. Nothing. Water was 42 degrees.

11. Splitshot

Splitshot

First time out this year. Got a limit 9 to 10 1/2" gills on a little lake in NW Michigan. New lake for me. Got 3 more to check out this year.

plugger and Musket like this.
  12. Musket

Musket Premium Member

My with got theses twin 9.5" yesterday while crappie fishing. Good luck out there today. 20180505_170849.jpg

Howard Baumann, Sturat and Drake like this.
  13. Crappie1

Crappie1

Usually when the water temperature gets 70-75

Gillgitter likes this.
  14. Bill Fred Bear

Bill Fred Bear

Outdoor2daCore - this lake is nuts. Literally as soon as the ice disappears and the sun pops out it's game on with this lake.
    I got a buddy that has been crushing the smallies on all the usual suspect lakes here in the TC area.
    Also, sounds like this perch thing is really coming on in the Bays unlike the last couple decades. Pretty encouraging things happening in our area!

15. Crappie1

Crappie1

Water was 60 yesterday, we got a ways to go yet.