Gills on beds

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Zkovach1175, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

So I noticed gills are on the beds but it seems I’m only seeing very small ones by the shore. Do bigger gills bed deeper by chance?

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Sometimes but many times the beds are fished heavily and the dinks take over .No harm if it's a large lake but smaller lakes can lose their biggest breeders .The lake will recover but it takes time .I have seen beds 5 ft to 1 ft .

TroutFishingBear and Zkovach1175 like this.

3. lodge lounger

lodge lounger

What I notice on the clear lake I fish is that the big gills will hit the shallow beds, but are real spooky. Catch one bull and the rest you catch will typically be small(er). If I find deeper beds, say 6-8 feet, the big guys will hang around and let you catch a few. Also, if the big ones get pushed off the shallow beds, you can frequently find them hanging off a nearby dropoff.

Zkovach1175 and Scout 2 like this.
  4. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I think a lot of times people try to get to close to the beds and cause this to happen. I like to stay as far away from the shallow beds as possible to fish them The beds we have been fishing the last couple weeks are in about 6 foot of water and you can set right on top of them and catch fish. The water here is tea colored from the cedar swamps so I think that make a difference to. Jet skis will raise hell with shallow water beds also

Justin likes this.