GH going live!!

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by jaypluggin, Aug 13, 2020.

1. jaypluggin

jaypluggin

image.jpg image.jpg Headed out now! Will report as the night goes on. Second pic is the grand isle launch.

2. Gabe T

Gabe T

Good luck homie

jaypluggin and John Hine like this.

3. jaypluggin

jaypluggin

Set up in 130’ and started marking fish right away. No takers. Headed deeper in 170’ marking in the top 20-30’. Fish hawk at 80’ down image.jpg image.jpg

4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

We had a lot of high marks too last night. Always wonder what those are. Gotta be a lot of them as I can't think the cone from.the transducer is too wide at that depth.

5. jaypluggin

jaypluggin

I’ve always wondered also, have put lures in that area and have never caught anything.

6. jaypluggin

jaypluggin

Could not update as much as I wanted, cell service sucked and there really wasn’t much to update. We went 1-1 with a 9 pound coho, hit a bloody nose spoon 63 down on a rigger. Fished from 230’ into 100’ and marked fish all day long, in 120’ there was tons of bait on the bottom or could be perch. From the sounds on the radio guys were doing pretty good. There was actually too much talking, got annoying so turned it off for awhile. Nice steady breeze outta the north northwest kept it comfortable. We will be out again tomorrow pm, good luck out there.
    ED18D194-0456-44E4-A69E-9F01E6C825F6.jpeg 267F4905-358F-4588-A574-FABB3FC834EC.jpeg F6D3B430-E7D5-4B0B-B5F7-0D4A8960270C.jpeg I gotta teach my boy to hold his fish right for a pic.

Canuck, 1fishingnut, Sprytle and 10 others like this.
  7. FISH FRY

FISH FRY

Im pretty sure those marks are the transducer picking up the downrigger cable. This is the first year I have used downriggers and never had those marks before using them. Now I always get "false" fish marks around 20ft down when using the downriggers.

evil eye's likes this.
  8. walleyewizard

walleyewizard

9. U D

U D

That's a great photo. It sure is better than holding the fish out at arms length. The boy is admiring his catch. Awesome!!

10. jaypluggin

jaypluggin

I should of taken another closer pic, I think/ thought it was a steelhead also but the coloring was not there. It probably is a steelhead, I was wrong once before. It’s gonna taste great no matter what it is.

11. Fishndude

Fishndude

Steelhead, and a nice one.

jaypluggin likes this.
  12. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Spotted tail and white mouth. Coho have grey mouth and a few spots on the top of the tail.

6667supersport and jaypluggin like this.
  13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I'm marking hooks up high. A hook shape comes from trolling over an object due to the physics of everything involved. I don't know how you could mark a thin vertical cable and get a return, although one graph I had would mark stacker releases on the cable.

14. FISH FRY

FISH FRY

Just giving my thoughts and opinion from personal experience.
    I have concluded that the reason the marks are high is because the cable is out of the sonar cone caused by the blowback usually about 20ft down. Looking down the cable at an angle (especially where it starts to bow ) is causing it to appear larger that it is, and it comes in and out of range ( boat rocking, etc. ) making it look like a mark. It is never consistent, and drove me nuts thinking they were fish, until I went back out local without the riggers.
    Again, only my personal experience, but it sounds like what you were describing.

15. grassmaster

grassmaster

I've got a real nice graph and was marking a ton of hooks 20-30 ft down in SH today.
    couldn't get myself to fish that high but will throw something out real shallow tomorrow.

6667supersport likes this.