Genetic Testing of CWD Deer

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Wild Thing, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

As many of you know, there has been some discussion about the origin of the CWD positive deer reportedly found in Waucedah Twp of Dickinson County in the U.P. Because it was reportedly killed on what many believe to be the farm which kills more deer illegally than any place else (perhaps in the entire state), many locals have been very interested in the genetic testing of this deer in order to ascertain that it was at least somewhat related to another local deer, of which there have been some 1,745 additional deer tested here with no additional positives.

Finally today, I had a discussion with Laboratory Scientist, Caitlin Ott-Conn, of the Wildlife Disease Lab of the DNR, regarding this issue. She was very pleasant to talk to and assured me that the deer in question has had its genetic profile completed. Unfortunately, due to the cataloging and sequencing process that they are in the process of developing, the final results will not be known (or at least available to the public) until January.

While I have to say that I am disappointed that we won't know anything definitive for several more months, I have to say that I am pleased to know that the DNR is at least in the process of finalizing this very important research.

I have copied Ms Ott-Conn's email here:

Hi Frank,

It was very nice talking with you and as I mentioned earlier please reach out again if you have other questions regarding genetics. I assure you the Department is looking to get the results out as soon as possible! We are looking at the 1) relatedness of all CWD positive individuals; 2) the population of origin of each positive; as well as 3) sequencing the gene associated with CWD to determine the proportion of variation we have both in regions with CWD and eventually the whole state. This final sequencing portion will get towards addressing that “resistance” question we discussed, remembering that the term is relative and that no deer has been found to actually be resistant to CWD.

In response to your question for Disease Control Permits, Sarah Carlson is now heading those up for the Division and can be reached at: [email protected]

Thanks,

Caitlin N. Ott-Conn
    Laboratory Scientist
    Michigan Department of Natural Resources
    Wildlife Disease Laboratory
    4125 Beaumont Rd. Rm 250
    Lansing, MI 48910
    517-336-5047

[email protected]

motdean, mbrewer, sparky18181 and 8 others like this.
  2. sniper

sniper

Frank you’ll know what your looking at up there also if there is no more tested positive deer through this coming up hunting season. I hope you find what your looking for. It definitely smells fishy.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. Groundsize

Groundsize

Will the genetic testing be done by an independent agency not linked to the Michigan DNR? if not a second opinion needs to take place.

Sparky23 and Wild Thing like this.
  4. Waif

Waif

The disease lab was very pleasant in my conversation too. (Different topic than the U.P. positive.)

Wild Thing likes this.
  5. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

Are you saying you do not trust someone is not pulling a rabbit out of their hat? Independent agency would not help if that was the case. Remember who had the sample first. No chain of custody is possible after that.

motdean, jr28schalm and Wild Thing like this.
  6. Groundsize

Groundsize

I'm saying its interesting that the ONLY CWD positive found so far in the UP is in the most heavily populated area for deer per SQ mile in the UP and we know how the DNR loves selling doe tags.

7. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

That's their main job. They are so good at it they will sell ya five of em in a spot where it would take three seasons to fill that many. So nothing would shock me.

jr28schalm likes this.
  8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Why pay for tags when they are offered for free?

9. mbrewer

mbrewer

I wondered how long it would take you to reject what you asked for.

Next wonder is whether or not you know it.

November Sunrise likes this.
  10. Groundsize

Groundsize

There is nothing wrong with getting a second test done to confirm CWD in this lone deer. Heck the public would like that. How many deer have been tested since? I'm fine with what it is as of now but some might not be.

jr28schalm likes this.
  11. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

No free tags around here Mike. Here is my response from Karen Sexton of the Escanaba Field Office yesterday:

"Hello Mr. ...... –

You posed the question about a reduced price antlerless permit in the Core CWD Surveillance Zone, and the answer is no, there is no reduced price antlerless permit. I will mention that IF a hunter’s deer tests positive for CWD, the Department has a process in place for replacing that antlerless tag to the hunter."

12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

All deer that test positive or possible(weak positive) are sent to the Iowa lab for a 2nd test and confirmation.

L & O

mattawanhunter and Groundsize like this.
  13. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

True - but I do not believe they do any Genetic testing on the deer - only for confirmation of CWD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Groundsize likes this.
  14. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

As far as I know, it is for CWD confirmation only.

L & O